Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Setting up a bigger tank

capn

Reaction score
Hello!

So, my axolotl is currently in a ten gallon tank, and I want to move him to a twenty gallon I was able to get recently. I've read that, since axolotls don't like water currents, a smaller filter in a bigger tank would be good to use. So, I want to keep using my 10 gal filter in the 20 gal tank (if this is actually safe).

Would it be possible to just siphon the water from one tank into the other and add the filter and decorations (and axolotl) slowly as the water drains, and then add in new water bit by bit to fill up the tank? My main concern is keeping the good culture I have already established in the old tank going in the new one.

Or would it just be better to cycle the second tank, and then add in the decorations and axolotl, and- if that's better- is there a way to cycle a tank without a filter?

headFeed

Reaction score
I have a 10 gal tank too and am planning on getting a bigger one. I'm curious about this too? It would be much easier and quick to keep the cycle. It doesn't sound like a bad idea as long as the new tank is clean... Hopefully someone who has experience with this replies because I have the same question!

Ronwel1

Reaction score
I think you would be better off using a bigger filter, and putting something in the tank to slow the current (a big flat rock right under the outlet), you'll have a lot less maintenance and over all better water quality. When I upgraded to a bigger tank I used half of the water, gravel,(don't let it dry), and most of the filter media from the old tank to Kickstart the new one. I still gave it a week to be sure, and everything went fine.

Zs Axolotls

Reaction score
I upgraded from 60G to 180G and put all new water and all new filter media
The axos were a bit out of way with nothing eating for a day or two but then they loved the new clean water

As long as the water is same temp and healthy, u can change it all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Richie373

Reaction score
Firstly, yes it is safe to transfer everything over.
But the best thing would probably be to keep the axolotl(s) in a separate container whilst transferring everything over to the larger tank in case of accidental falling of ornaments and allows you more time to muck around with the arrangement !
You can use the old filter and media for a while, until if and when you upgrade you can change the filter media from your old filter into the new one to try and conserve your old culture.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1