Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

URGENT Please Help

Elijepic

Reaction score
Mine had same thing, died earlier today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nioa

Reaction score
This looks like what my newt has got. I've heard it called "the shine", the most common symptoms are irregular shiny skin and exaggerated hip and spine bones. I don't think your newt is very thin, I think he's got the shine. I agree with Chinadog that shiny skin is a sign that something is wrong. I've also heard that head sores and something that looks similar to hiccuping are symptoms as well. If I'm right, then the best course of action is to put him in a terrestrial setup where his skin is allowed to dry a bit. Cool temperatures help as well, and keep on feeding him. Hope that helps.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1