Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Tiny White spots and Pinkish tail?

Severance

Reaction score
Hello all! So my axie, Watz, has recently been showing a pinker colored tail than normal. It's very slight, but I'm wondering if I should be concerned? Mostly because there are also these tiny white spots along her tail. I'm not sure if she's always had them, but I haven't noticed them before.

They don't appear fuzzy or raised or anything like that, just dots. Any help is appreciated!

Some things of note:
- She is about 8 inches.
- Diet of Hikari Carnivore Pellets and Red Worms.
- Lives in a 30g tank alone.
- Water occasionally treated with API Stress Coat + Aloe.
- Added some self boiled driftwood to the tank (could this be irritating her?)
- Tank ranges from 65-70degrees. Currently at 65.
- 30%ish water changes weekly.
- She's lived in this tank for about 3 months.
- Filtered tank, low water flow.
- Fine sand bottom.
- Recently added live plants -- 1x Bacopa Monnieri, 1x Anubias Barteri, 1x Java Fern, and some bamboo. None are decaying as far as I can tell, all green and no brown.

OxAlgLk.jpg

OxAlgLk

Skudo09

Reaction score
Is your tank cycled? If you are worried, usually a good first step is to test the parameters so you can be sure that there are no water quality issues present and that your axolotl is in the best environment to heal.

The spots that I can see on the photo look normal to me and nothing to worry about. With the pinkness, do you notice this occurs more when your axolotl has been active and less so when your axolotl has been lazy and still? When they have been swimming about and active, there is increased blood flow so they tend to gain more colour (particularly in the tail and gill filaments). It is usually more obvious in lighter coloured axolotls.

If all your parameters are OK, I would probably not be too concerned. It is likely just due to increased blood flow from recent activity. But something you can monitor.

When you say you are adding the stress coat occasionally, do you mean you are adding more on top of dechlorinating fresh water you add at water changes?

Severance

Reaction score
The pinkness comes and goes. I've just never seen it before, even when shes active. She's still eating and acting the same as usual, and no curled gills.

I only treat the water with the stress coat, as the bottle says it removes the chlorine and chemicals from the water. I add the recommended amount every time I change/add new water.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!