Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: The tip of my newt's tail is white and deformed :(

Quinnshere

Reaction score
Poor Doggy the newt's tail has become deformed and is getting worse very quickly! I'm not sure if he has been injured or if it is a fungus. I've never before had to give a salt bath to an amphibian (chalking that up to great luck thus far), but I'd hate to give him a salt bath if it is not a fungus.

What should I do to help Doggy? I'm really worried about him and want to help him ASAP!

Attachments

• IMG_1728.jpg
    IMG_1728.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_1729.jpg
    IMG_1729.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 240

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to the site. :)
That looks like it could have been an injury that's turned into a fungal or bacterial problem. Your best bet would be to take him to a vet with experience treating amphibians, if that's not an option you could try salt baths. Here are a couple of articles that might help

Caudata Culture Articles - Salt Solutions in Treating Salamanders

Caudata Culture Articles - Sores

and a good salt bath tutorial;

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...axolotl/72698-salt-bath-picture-tutorial.html

I have heard of people using fish medication, but I don't have enough experience with those to say weather they're safe or not.

Quinnshere

Reaction score
Thank you so much for your reply! I found a few vets in the area that may be able to help me as I didn't know if a salt bath would be necisary. I fear a salt bath could do more harm than good if it wasn't necisary. Do you think I should go ahead with the salt bath to give him more immediate attention?? Do you think putting him in the fridge overnight would do him good until I can get him to the vet??
Sorry I'm bombarding you with questions, but that you for the help thus far! :)

Quinnshere

Reaction score
I posted another photo from a different angle. Any more help would be appreciated! <3 I'm going to do a water change with colder water in hopes that it'll help him. I also just called a vet that advised me not to give him a salt bath. :( but I'm having a hard time find a vet that help with newts in my area.

Attachments

• IMG_1766.jpg
    IMG_1766.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 216
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1