Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New tank syndrome?

oohwitchywoman

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here. And new to axolotols and aquariums in general. I cycled my tank based off of a few forums I had read, for two weeks. Saturday, my axolotls babies moved in to their 20 gallon tank. About 24 hours in, the water became cloudy. It's not terribly cloudy, and it hasn't gotten worse. The babies are still eating fine, and their gills look good. They are behaving as I perceive to be normal. A friend said this was normal, as maybe the tank hadn't completed cycling, and the axies were okay to stay in the tank as long as I did a 30% water change in a few days. Others have said to get the axolotls out now, and put them back in once the cycling is complete. Again, the babies seem fine. I did some test strips and they're reading okay, but I know they aren't always accurate. What say you?

-worried axolotl mom

Amyglistens

Reaction score
Hi ya, your friends probably right . what have you got on the bottom? With babies I'd suggest a clear bottom. Often in a new tank sand and gravel can cause a little cloudiness and babies will eat sand and gravel. As long as you keep an eye on it and water change if it doesn't clear up by itself they should be fine. It also wouldn't hurt to get some test strips to make sure the chlorine levels are okay. I've just added my 3 juveniles to a brand new 200l tank that's cycled and they seem to be loving the freedom. Welcome to the wonderful world of axolotls

debadog

Reaction score
回复: New tank syndrome?

2 weeks is nowhere near long enough to cycle a tank, i'm not sure what forums you were reading. It is quite complicated and difficult to grasp when you first try to learn about it but you'll crack it eventually, you just need to do extensive research until you understand it. You say your test strips at ""reading okay" but theres no way they'll be at normal levels after two weeks. The correct levels are 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrite and 20-40ppm nitrate. Additionally, water test strips are near useless and wildly inaccurate (I made the same mistake of buying them when I started out) and only a water test kit will suffice for accurate readings.

If you understand the cycle then you'll know when its finished, but you'll need to get acquainted with a water testing kit (such as this one from API which is used by almost everyone here) but it will likely take at least another 6-8 weeks for your cycle to finish. Did you add an ammonia source to your tank in the two weeks you were cycling it, or did you just let it sit? This is a common mistake but if you just let it sit and didn't add an ammonia source then unfortunately that didn't achieve anything. For the next two months or so while your tank is cycling (now your axies are added they are producing the ammonia that is starting the cycle) you're going to have to do big daily water changes - at least 50% every single day - until the cycling process is over. If you don't do this then your axolotls will suffer greatly. Yeah, you can take a chance and see if they'll survive the process without these water changes, as I'm guessing that your friend did if she didn't cycle her tank either, but its not fair to the animals as they are sitting in their own waste for this period. "Fish-in cycling" is generally considered to be cruel and that is especially true of water-sensitive axolotls. It is not uncommon for axolotls not to survive the cycling process if treated to normal water changes (i.e. one a week) and not daily.

The reason why your tank is cloudy is likely due to an algal bloom due to a spike in nutrients in the tank, which is harmless if unsightly, and should disappear soon. Again, this is why people usually cycle their tanks before they get their animals.

If doing these 50% daily water changes seems like a hassle then maybe you should move them to individual containers until the cycling is complete which will make it easier to do water changes - though if the container is much smaller a 100% daily water change is recommended. Do not put them together in a smaller container or they may be tempted to attack each other, especially if they're babies! They don't need a filter they can live in just a tub of water, as long as you are doing daily water changes and removing waste.

Unfortunately there is just no way around this and you will have to do the research on cycling and understand it. The reason is not only for this initial cycling process, but because changes in these levels can be the root cause of issues down the line - what if your axolotl gets sick and you don't realise its because of an ammonia spike until its too late? What if you want to move them to a new tank? I'd highly recommend getting an API test kit, having a little read at places like this and learning the cycle fully. Trust me, its rewarding once you understand it and you'll feel like an aquarium pro afterwards!

Good luck

debadog

Reaction score
回复: New tank syndrome?

Hi, I'm new here. And new to axolotols and aquariums in general. I cycled my tank based off of a few forums I had read, for two weeks. Saturday, my axolotls babies moved in to their 20 gallon tank. About 24 hours in, the water became cloudy. It's not terribly cloudy, and it hasn't gotten worse. The babies are still eating fine, and their gills look good. They are behaving as I perceive to be normal. A friend said this was normal, as maybe the tank hadn't completed cycling, and the axies were okay to stay in the tank as long as I did a 30% water change in a few days. Others have said to get the axolotls out now, and put them back in once the cycling is complete. Again, the babies seem fine. I did some test strips and they're reading okay, but I know they aren't always accurate. What say you?

-worried axolotl mom

Also I'm just assuming that by babies you do mean juveniles? At least 4 inches or so in length and with all their legs?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!