Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Questions about salamander care

GooeyLouie95

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just got my first tiger salamander about a week ago, and it's going great. But I have some questions about taking care her that I didn't see on any care sheets:

1) Is it a young or mature adult? She's fully metamorphosed. She's about six inches long from nose to tail and about 1 inch wide at her fattest. Her head is the same width as her fattest point. I actually don't know for sure if it's old enough to tell the sex, but the cloaca is flat a a pancake, so I'm going with she for now.

2) Are earthworms from bait shops or walmart safe? I'm worried they'll have bacteria or something else harmful in them. Are there any species/brands of earthworms that are NOT safe for her to eat?

3) How big should she be before I feed her her first tiny pinky? And how often should pinkies be fed? Maybe 1 or 2 per month?

4) During winter when it starts getting into the 30s-40s (Fahrenheit) should I do something to warm her up or just let her hibernate in the cold? And at what temperature would it be necessary to warm her up? I have a small heating pad for under the tank, is that a good way to heat her?

Sorry for the lengthy questions, but I want to make sure to keep her as healthy as possible. Thanks

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!