Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sick Salamander

Wyvell

Reaction score
Hey guys,
our little friend toothless is refusing to eat and has developed what I believe to be a bit of fungus on one of his gills. The gills on the side with the fungus are curled but the other side are normal. Water parameters are all great. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrate, 0 nitrite, PH 6.7, Temp 62 degrees F.
I have noticed a population of tiny white bugs in the tank but I have been reassured that they are harmless and only want to feed on decaying plant matter and waste.

I have been cleaning the inside of the tank and have cleaned half of the sand. I have a sponge filter running in there right now as well as doing water changes every other day in hopes of reducing the number of the tiny critters (as they are not parasitic but can be annoying to him)

I have had toothless for a few months now and he had grown about an inch in the first month but has since not grown much at all. I was feeding him bloodworms, red wigglers and occasionally wax worms to help with how skinny he was. However, over time he was eating less and less. First he stopped 'hunting' the wigglers then stopped eating bloodworms off the bottom of his tank. after that he wouldn't take bloodworms from my turkey baster anymore and would only eat floating wax worms. now he rarely eats wax worms anymore either and I am beginning to worry.

Today we started salt bathing him after I noticed the fungus and he did eat a waxworm and a mouthful of blood worms.

Any advice on the matter is appreciated. Thanks to you all for helping me with this sick little guy. I rescued him from rough conditions and he has had trouble ever since, the people of this forum have always been patient and helpful!

Betty18

Reaction score
You did take all the right steps in order to care for him, he should be getting better now that you have cleared out the fungus, continue to feed him and keep a close eye on him the next few weeks.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!