Should I be concerned?

Mikaela23

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I brought my axolotl home from the pet store a couple of weeks ago. I noticed this little white bump on his side but didn't think too much of it. Now I'm realizing it could be something worth checking about. I've attached a photo of it. His slime coat is fine, and the bump doesn't look like cotton - more like a hard raised bump under the skin.

It doesn't look like it affects him at all - he's eating normally and is very active during the evening. Any ideas what it could be?

Attachments

• 20180109_224306.jpg
    20180109_224306.jpg
    362.1 KB · Views: 259
Typically if its a bulge behind the leg such as the one your axolotl has, that just means that it is a male. Males develop bulges behind their back legs when they are maturing or are adults, and females won't develop the bulge. So it is perfectly normal :)

Thanks for the reply! I'm more concerned about the small little bump between the front and the back legs. Its about halfway between - pretty hard to see with the photo I posted. He's pretty active so hard to get a good picture sometimes. Is this what you were referring to?

Oh! Haha, I totally did not see that. I thought you were referring to the bump behind his leg. I have no idea, I would say since its not affecting him he should be okay. If you are concerned I will link a website that lists Axolotl illnesses and see if it says anything there, I am so sorry for the confusion, haha.

Axolotls - Health & Diseases

Thanks! I'll check it out just to be sure.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back