Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Bite Wound Check-Up

TheRealAlice

Reaction score
Hi All,

My two axolotls have on occasion given each other a bite on the tail, and since getting them the lucy tends to be more aggressive. Thursday last week (7/19) the lucy bit the wild type and managed to go through bone and mangle the tissue. I have left them both in the tank together, and while I think the tail is healing well on its own this is my first time dealing with a bite this bad so I would appreciate any feed back or advice.

Since the bite, I have been doing 50% water changes every other day, I have placed Indian Almond Leaves in the aquarium with them to try to help prevent opportunistic infection. The wild type has continued to behave normally and eats with no issues.
All my water parameters are well within normal ranges, the only issue being a higher than preferred water temperature (72 F). Since I can't be around to switch out frozen water bottles as often as needed, the water temperature fluctuated more than I was comfortable with over a 24 hr period, so I've just decided to work to maintain the water temp as is.

If anyone with experience dealing with bite recovery or infection would please look over the images and let me know if they think I am missing signs of infection, or any other issues I would appreciate it.

The image numbers correspond with the following:

3010 - image of the wild type's tail from above, you can see the uneven tissue and the bubble forming next to where the vertebrae are

3011 - top view of the wild type (washed out from flash), you can see how much tissue was removed, as well as the bubble forming next to the vertebrae

3012 - the lucy that is the aggressor, I put this in here to show its body condition, since I do not think that under-feeding is leading to her behavior

2996 - this is a view of the bite the day after it happened, I was originally concerned that the fuzziness around the bite was a fungal infection, though I now believe it was likely tissue

3005 - close up view of the bite as it is today (7/24), I am unsure if I should be concerned with the bubble that is forming or the redness (irritation?) that is directly above it

3006 - image of the wild types tail and body condition

Attachments

• IMG_3010.JPG
    IMG_3010.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_3011.JPG
    IMG_3011.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_3012.JPG
    IMG_3012.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_2996.jpg
    IMG_2996.jpg
    392 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_3005.JPG
    IMG_3005.JPG
    252.2 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_3006.JPG
    IMG_3006.JPG
    234 KB · Views: 211
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!