Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

NEED HELP ... found worms in tank

eveaxolotl

Reaction score
Hey everyone so I need some help. I just upgraded one of my axolotls from a 10 gallon to a 20 gallon and after I made the switch I noticed tiny white whippy worms and white little parasites in her tank. I went and looked at the old tank and there are a lot that I never noticed. I need to know what to do about them. From people I talked to they say treat the axolotl. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Photos attached.

Attachments

• B7B81C2A-8447-40EE-93BE-BD84FE03352B.png
    B7B81C2A-8447-40EE-93BE-BD84FE03352B.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 238
  • C9B40B5C-88B9-467C-96FF-993C908C02E0.png
    C9B40B5C-88B9-467C-96FF-993C908C02E0.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 220

Tya123

Reaction score
Hi eveaxolotl. I literally had the same issue and was in a panic three days ago. I've attached a picture of what I found (tried to at least). Please ignore the dried water stains. Your issue is more than likely planaria. Don't panic, this is actually a good thing! It means you are building a natural, functional ecosystem in your aquarium that will keep your axolotl healthy in the long term. They won't directly hurt your axolotl, but since they live off of uneaten food, an outbreak may mean you should either clean the tank more often or feed less often, or both. My buddy is super messy when he eats, so since my recent planaria outbreak, I vacuumed his tank and put a little sushi soy-sauce dish in the bottom of his tank to reduce mess. I saw a drastic reduction in days.

Hope this helps!

Attachments

• Plenaria.jpg
    Plenaria.jpg
    537.1 KB · Views: 210
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!