Question: Questions About Long-Toed Salamanders

bruiser1

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Deborah Haney
In my back yard, I have a seasonal pond that is full at the moment but won't be in 3 or 4 months and it's full of long-toed salamander larvae. I have a mass of eggs in a large jar of pond water that are hatching right now, actually, and two larvae roughly two or three weeks old in a larger jar of pond water with a few clean aquarium decorations for hiding. I took the eggs because my dogs like to play in the pond (it's only about 3 feet deep in the middle) and more than once I watched them narrowly miss the glob so I decided that, until they were able to swim away and hide from danger, I would care for them myself and as for the other two, I just wanted to watch them through metamorphosis and release them in a few weeks. Lately though, I've been toying with the idea of keeping 3 or three as adults as pets since I've heard that, in areas they aren't native (Eastern USA), they are not all that uncommonly kept by hobbyists. I've checked it out and the only restrictions on keeping this species is that you can't sell a native species, which I don't intend to do. I am aware of the dietary and spacial requirements. My questions are as follows:
1) approximately how much water would this specific type of salamander need (small bowl? half the terrarium?)
2) what kind of substrate should be used
3) if the water portion should be large, do I need a filter
4) should I use pond water or tap water w/o chlorine and chloramine
5) if I use pond water should I not use a filter, and vice versa
6) any advice people who have done this or had a long-toed salamander
please and thank you

ok no chlorine use pond water i have not had to filter my water for my salamander (long toed) but it may need to be filtered. how much water i use a 10 gallon tank half water half mud and stuff. what kind of substrate, i really dont know the specifics but i have had mine for three years and only with normal mud and its been doing great! and advice well you have clearly done a bunch of research so only thing is i would feed it worms i have always fed my long toed worms (an occasional meal worm and such). again i am not an expert. but yes not chlorine that will kill them, also watch out for cannibalism! if you have smaller ones with bigger ones they might fight and eat/kill each other! and dont put the whole tank (like when they are adults) water and for larvae just feed them little food! good luck!:happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back