Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hi I am new and need help

Jmcknight

Reaction score
Hello I'm new to the sight and i really need help with my female Axolotl, Mudkip. I am new to this particular side of the aquarium hobby as i mainly just keep inverts like crayfish, African Cichlids, snails, and stuff like that. I always wanted and Axolotl though, So i noticed at my LFS her gills were just fine and everything. I got her home and roughly a week later the gills on the right side of her face curled backwards and have stayed curled backwards unless she flicks her gills. The gills of the left side are extended out with only a slight curl back and not curled all the way against her head like the right side. I know he is stressed and i cant figure out why. The tip of her tail is doing the curl thing. She eats wonderfully though and has gained a little weight. I cut up nightcrawlers for her and feed her 1 everyday and she snatches them from my tongs like she cant get enough. She tends to stay in 1 place though, underneath this decoration in the pictures. I thought maybe the current in the water was too much so i switched out filters. The HOB filter on the tank previously made a strong current and the new one barely makes any. I guess the current was one issue because as i type this she is walking around the entire tank and moving around but the tip of her tail is still curled up. I dont know what to do. Also i dont think she has pooped more then once since i got her 2-3 weeks ago. Keep in mind the green coloring you see on her in the first picture is actually just algea. Ive been afraid to move her to clean that part of the glass.She is in a well established tank, PH is 7.4, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and only 5 ppm nitrates. I do water changes once a week. Roughly 35-40 % at a time and fill the tank back up with a watering can so as not to disturb her.

Attachments

• 20200121_020554.jpg
    20200121_020554.jpg
    410.7 KB · Views: 164
  • 20200121_020542.jpg
    20200121_020542.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 340

hunterwho

Reaction score
Welcome to the site!
She's really cute! However, you cannot keep axolotls on gravel. They'll eat it and get impacted, and be unable to eat anything else. Tub her while taking out the gravel so she doesn't try to eat stray pieces, if you can, and keep her on either sand or bare bottom.
I'm glad your new filter has lower flow. Make sure your water's cool enough; axolotls like cooler water, between 50-68 Fahrenheit.
Best of luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!