Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl gender

joshwert

Reaction score
I have a melanoid axolotl that's about 10-12 months old. I got this one with a batch of 4 others while they were all juveniles and about 2 inches long. It seems that most of them have grown to sexual maturity so I can identify their gender, but I'm not sure if my melanoid, Leal, is mature enough to sex or not. It looks like it may be a boy because it's cloaca looks slightly swollen, but it has a kinda divet at its base, so I'm not too sure.

Attachments

• IMAG0426.jpg
    IMAG0426.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 235

Donna001

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome to the forum. :happy:

The cloaca on your melenoid doesn't look as swollen as on my matures males, but then I'm not very good at sexing axolotls and had to post pictures of all of mine to this forum to get them sexed.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
    Shane douglas: with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred... +1