Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Why is my axolotl floating??

Ollieouting

Reaction score
Hey guys, i've had Xochi for about two months now and ever since i got her she's had a peculiar habit of floating around her tank. She isn't floating butt-up like you'd see in a case of constipation, she floats with her head up and her entire body facing downwards, kind of like a crocodile. She has no problem getting to the bottom of the tank when she wants, but i just thought it was odd that she'd be doing this? I first thought it was an issue with aeration but her tank has two LARGE sponge filters going at all times and they're breaking the water surface really well, and i rarely, if EVER, see her gills moving. Do you think there's an underlying issue, or is she just being her odd albino self?

https://66.media.tumblr.com/b523a84.../b8294a9443676b6789438a26b7058eec8df01283.jpg

Her tail tip has also been curled for a few weeks now and i'm not sure why. At first i thought her tank was too warm so i invested (a LOT) in a chiller that's kept her temperature down to 18C without fail. She's in a 30gal tank by herself with fine sand substrate and LOTS of plants and hides, but her tail is still curled and she still likes to float right in the view of the tank lights (when they're on for a few hours a day). She's also eating healthily still, eating a red wiggler every two or three days, and she's pooping at least once a week. She still hasn't gained ANY weight though and she's still looking alarmingly small even for a 7-8 month old, and she always stands on her legs like a dog instead of sitting belly down on the sand???

My tank parameters are:

ammonia: 0.0
nitrites: 0.0
nitrates: 15ppm
temp: 18C

is there anything wrong with her or is she just being an oddball??

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!