Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sponge Filter Questions

Do you have a sponge filter in your axolotl tank?

• Yes

Votes: 52 65.0%
  • No

Votes: 28 35.0%

• Total voters

AnnaBingham

Reaction score
I have 2 large sponge filters running off airpumps in my 180l 4 foot tank. I have 4 axies in there and they work fine, parameters are fine. I have to clean the tank a bit more as some poop and food can get stuck underneath the sponges, which could affect nitrates if left there, but thats not a problem to me. Every or every other day i just pick the filters up and use a turkey baster to remove anything underneath and do water changes twice a week :)
When i had an internal filter i was always worried about the current and it was quite noisy. Sponges and airpumps are pretty silent apart from the bubbles on the surface.

Flee

Reaction score
I have 2 large sponge filters running off airpumps in my 180l 4 foot tank. I have 4 axies in there and they work fine, parameters are fine. I have to clean the tank a bit more as some poop and food can get stuck underneath the sponges, which could affect nitrates if left there, but thats not a problem to me. Every or every other day i just pick the filters up and use a turkey baster to remove anything underneath and do water changes twice a week :)
When i had an internal filter i was always worried about the current and it was quite noisy. Sponges and airpumps are pretty silent apart from the bubbles on the surface.

So Anna using an air pump how is it filtering the water? Sorry I don’t understand. To me an air pump blows out so what is sucking the water through the sponges?

NadeZ

Reaction score
So Anna using an air pump how is it filtering the water? Sorry I don’t understand. To me an air pump blows out so what is sucking the water through the sponges?

When the air bubbles move towards the surface, water is sucked in to fill the vacuum.

AnnaBingham

Reaction score

Yeah from my understanding, sponge filters dont physcially clean things such as poop thats why it can require a bit more cleaning. But the sponges have lots of area to build up good bacteria for your cycle. And the air blown out the pipe just helps the water flow through the sponges. This is my understanding anyway, im not 100% sure myself how these things work i just know to stick an air line and air pump to it and they blow bubbles and my axies like to watch the bubbles lol :D

Flee

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your replies. Mine is hooked up to a canister and was just wondering how the other way worked. :happy:

Dangerwithapen

Reaction score
I use an on-back filter as the sponge one I had before wasn't filtering enough for my messy little guy. (Plus the one I have helps keep ammonia in check because of an add-on that I use with it.) He's got some plants in his tank as well and he's a happy guy with fluffy gills! He just tends to avoid the side of the tank where the filter is.

Biev

Reaction score
I use Poret filters, mattenfilters or a mattenfilter+canister combo. They all fall within the sponge filter category, but do a much better job than those round polyester sponge filters you see in pet shops. There's really no comparison!

Wyvell

Reaction score
Nikki,
How is your filter set up? Yours looks like its blowing bubbles is it connected to your air pump? So what have you go it connected to, to filter it?
I have one simular in one of my tanks but I used the clear thick tube which came with it and ran it to my canister filter but if there is another way which is easier I would like to know how. :happy:

Thanks

You can set up a sponge filter by pumping air into it with an air pump. The upward current of the bubbles pulls water through the sponge

Chefwarrior

Reaction score
Hi. Where do you buy the sponge filters? I have a submerged filter which is great but just moved my axolotles to a 60 from 40 gal.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!