Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

OH Press: Saving the 'snot otter'

wes_von_papineäu

Our Roving Correspondent
Reaction score
COLUMBUS DISPATCH (Ohio) 16 October 07 Saving the 'snot otter' - Researchers want to know why the eastern hellbender, Ohio's largest amphibian, is disappearing (Kevin Mayhood)
Armstrongs Mills, Ohio: Ages ago, Captina Creek carved out a bank and filled itself with a tumble of flat limestone rocks in what is now Belmont County.
And over time, wildlife moved into that area of eastern Ohio, including a shy salamander that can stretch to 2 feet and weigh in at a pound.
The eastern hellbender, found only in the United States, was once plentiful, a dietary mainstay of ancient Indian cultures. Only a few decades ago, the slimy amphibian was fairly easy to find for those who knew where to look.
But the hellbender, also called "devil dog" and "snot otter," isn't around much anymore. It was labeled an endangered species in Ohio 25 years ago, and things seem to be getting worse. Researchers want to know why.
Ralph Phingston and Greg Lipps have been surveying the waterways in southeastern Ohio, the only region where hellbenders have been found since the 1950s. They slip into streams and overturn rocks, hopeful that pollution, erosion, virus and loss of habitat have not further harmed the species.
But the numbers don't look good. They have found 35 in seven streams during the past two years. The last survey, performed from 1986 to 1988, found 138 hellbenders in 16 streams.
"It's very disturbing," said Phingston, a retired high-school science teacher recognized as Ohio's amphibian expert.
Pennsylvania, West Virginia and others states are in the same boat. The hellbender was listed as a "special concern" species in New York in 1983. Maryland, Illinois and Indiana list it as endangered, and it is threatened in Alabama.
Back in Ohio, when researchers spot a hellbender, they record information about water temperature, water flow, clarity and more. They also inject a rice-size transmitter into the tail of each animal in an effort to track it.
Another threat, they say, is silt, the fine-grained soil that runs into waterways from erosion, said Lipps, a conservation biologist.
But there are poachers, too.
"I just got an e-mail from a colleague who saw a hellbender selling for $1,700 in a pet store in Japan," Lipps said.
The animals are docile and harmless to humans, but secrete white, toxic mucus when handled.
"Don't put your hands near your eyes," Phingston said. "It'll feel like you were Maced."
Joe Greathouse, curator of animals at the Good Zoo at Oglebay Resort in Wheeling, W.Va., is studying seven creeks in the northern part of that state. He said he's found nearly 130 hellbenders in five streams in the past three years.
Still, he said, only two streams have what he would call strong populations.
Veterinarians at The Wilds in Muskingum County have joined the survey this year, testing the animals in Ohio and West Virginia for a virus and fungus that kill amphibians, including the hellbender.
They take blood samples and analyze them for the presence of infection, liver and renal function, and general health. Pennsylvania vets are doing the same.
"We're trying to get a better understanding of what is normal," said Rachael Weiss, a veterinarian at The Wilds. "We're going to compare what is perceived to be a healthy population in West Virginia with the population in Ohio."
Lipps said the bad news goes beyond the low numbers.
"It scares me more than anything that in the other creeks, there are only large adults, and only few of them.
"The only small ones are here," he said of Captina Creek.
That means it's the only Ohio creek where hellbenders have successfully reproduced in the past decade.
Experts at The Wilds are designing an artificial stream in hopes of creating an ideal habitat for breeding. Hellbenders will be placed in it next year.
There are a lot of unknowns, said Dan Beetem, director of animal management.
"We don't know what cues them to breed," he said.
http://www.columbusdispatch.com/li...ent.ART_ART_10-16-07_B4_GQ861BJ.html?sid=101

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just googled the image "snot otter" with results...now I have some buttons coming saying "Save the Snot Otter" that I can't wait to proudly wear. (So I guess I've decided 'I absolutely love it...')

There are a few close links between otters and newts. First, Pachytriton labiatus is sometimes called an "Otter head newt"; Second, Tarichas resemble otters in coloration and cuteness; and Thirdly, now this. Hmmmm.....I must ponder this deeply...

Last edited:

wes_von_papineäu

Our Roving Correspondent
Reaction score
New 'Snot Otter' Article coming soon

Coming soon to a news-stand near you (and 'no', your paperboy does not have a subscription to this journal and won't be able to borrow the item)

New Scientist 03 November 2007 Magazine issue 2628 The Word: Hellbender
IT LOOKS like it has crawled out of a stinking primeval swamp, or as if it's bound for some unspeakable gothic underworld. But the hellbender (not to be confused with the rock band, computer game or jeep) is no monster: it's one of the world's largest aquatic salamanders, hiding under rocks in fast-flowing, winding streams in remote parts of the US. When it does venture out, though, Cryptobranchus alleganiensis has a very mixed relationship with people, winning lots of fans and enemies.

So what exactly is the fascination? Hellbenders grow up to 75 centimetres long and look like giant, flattened tadpoles with severe bathtub wrinkles. These wrinkles increase the skin's surface area and therefore the space available for capillaries below the skin, through which the hellbender breathes. The fleshy folds make the salamanders feel slimy because of the mildly toxic mucus they generate to protect their skin from pathogens and ...

The complete article is 595 words long.
This is a preview of the full article. If you are a subscriber, log in now on the right, to continue reading. If not, subscribe to New Scientist and get 4 FREE issues plus instant access to all online content.

http://www.newscientist.com/channel/life/mg19626282.000-the-word-hellbender.html?feedId=life_rss20

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just call me "Snotterwoman" from now on :cool:

Attachments

• SnotOtterPinsm.JPG
    SnotOtterPinsm.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 1,865

mantighoul

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
I am jealous for the "save the snot otter" pin. Would look good on my bag :p

wes_von_papineäu

Our Roving Correspondent
Reaction score
PA Press: Rattlesnakes, hellbenders & a parent in seventh heaven

More 'snot otter' press ... when will this wild ride end?!

POCONO RECORD (Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania) 28 October 07 Rattlesnakes, hellbenders & a parent in seventh heaven (John Serrao)
Few things are more satisfying to a parent than to realize that a child has achieved an enjoyable and rewarding career. That satisfaction is magnified if the career is related to that of the parent, since this creates the possibility of sharing experiences throughout adulthood.
My daughter Vanessa has been working professionally as a wildlife and science filmmaker for the past few years (The Discovery Channel, Animal Planet, etc.), and it has afforded us the opportunity to share many conversations and outdoor excursions for the first time since she regularly accompanied my wife, Felicia, and I on hikes, camping trips and wilderness vacations when our kids were young.
This past summer, Vanessa and I worked together (she did most of the work), on a two-part "adventure" project as part of her master's degree in science and natural history filmmaking for Montana State University.
In June, we spent a day at a timber rattlesnake maternity den in the Poconos, where Vanessa filmed seven pregnant female rattlers basking in the sun among the boulders on a steep, bare, south-facing hillside. These snakes would remain there for the summer, without eating, until they gave birth to babies in late August or September.
Without touching or disturbing the snakes, Vanessa filmed them coiled in the sun and occasionally moving to the shade of rock crevices when their body temperatures rose too steeply. It was a unique experience for my wife and me to share these hours with Vanessa and her husband, Greg Hiemenz.
All I did was supply a bit of the commentary and background information on timber rattlesnakes. Mostly, I just watched with pride as my daughter produced a professional nature video.
Part two occurred on the weekend of Sept. 22-23 when the four of us met in western Pennsylvania to find North America's largest amphibian — the hellbender.
I've written about this huge, slimy, wrinkled, remarkable creature in past columns. The hellbender achieves a length of nearly 2½ feet and a weight of 6 pounds. It's a completely aquatic salamander that breathes through its wrinkled skin, hides beneath big, flat rocks in rivers during the day, and emerges at night to walk along the bottom of these rivers searching for crayfish, which the powerful amphibian engulfs in its strong, wide jaws. With its flattened body, tiny beady eyes, stubby toes, wide head, and lateral folds of skin, the hellbender looks like no other creature in the world — except for two close cousins in China and Japan that attain lengths of 5 or 6 feet.
We spent two beautiful, warm, sunny days wading in a river in a state park. Greg and I lifted the big rocks and carefully felt around on the bottom for soft, slimy hellbenders. Vanessa lowered a fish tank into the shallow water and filmed the underwater scenes through the glass.
For the first half-hour, we failed to find any hellbenders, and I began to fear that these amphibians had disappeared from the area, as they have from many other Pennsylvania streams because of pollution, siltation or acid mine damage. But then I found the first one — about 18 to 20 inches long and a real beauty.
We lifted it gently from the water for a close look and then temporarily put it into a small, shallow pool near the shore so that we could obtain some crisp, clear photos. Then we released it to the security of its rock, while Vanessa filmed it walking underwater back to its lair.
By the end of the weekend, we located about 30 hellbenders in the river. We also saw a bald eagle, great blue herons, ravens, big fishing spiders, mourning cloak butterflies, and some of the magnificent, wild scenery for which Pennsylvania is justly famous.
Vanessa captured some wonderful footage of these "ugly monsters" of Pennsylvania's waterways, as hellbenders have been described in several older books. And we shared some treasured memories in the outdoors, with the parent/child roles rather proudly reversed from what they were years ago.
http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071028/NEWS01/710280327/

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You know, that actually did occur to me, but I decided it was more of an infatuation. Maybe it'll just be a term of endearment that only those "in the know" can use for me. A "pillow-talk" kind of a name.:frog:

mantighoul

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
(sn)otterwoman, you are great.
SnotOtter Pins for all??

You guys also see that on the WWF page, you can also adopt a hellbender(snot otter) and get a cute little snot otter plush?

speaking of snot otters has anyone heard or read about effects of lampridice, if any at all, on the snot otter population? I am looking for this for some people at work after a nice discusion on pacific lamprey, lapricode, great leakes, and I threw in some amphibian questions here and there.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1