Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Missing leg, Paddletail

Ciddian

Reaction score
So.... my boss came up to me and told me about this lil paddle tail newt that had lost a leg. Apparently you arnt supposed to keep them together from what i read on the care sheet, because of aggression? More so with less food available i would assume.

He'she is in excellent shape aside from the limb. It eats very well and does everything just as good. I am unsure if that leg will regrow. The white bit feels stiff. I couldn't help but touch it because he tries to walk with it still (eek!) We felt terrible for the lil guy. I personally would like to see him/her a bit fatter but i dunno

Right now he's in a smaller bare bottom tank so its easy for me to keep the water clean. He gets fed smaller items (bloodworm atm) in a separate container. I hope to pick up some earth worms for him this weekend.

Anywho.. He/she's adorable! <3 Always comes over to see if my finger may be edible. lol

DSC03305.jpg

DSC03296.jpg

Thanks for looking! I will keep this updated... If anyone has extra advice or concerns please lemmie know! I haven't had a newt for a long long time..

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
The leg will regrow. It actually looks pretty clean, as if the wound is already healing. I think as long as you keep it clean, and well fed, everything will be ok on time.

keechoo

Reaction score
Looks just like mine but the missing limb is on the other side. The white part is the bone. It's been months for my guy (he also had to overcome limb rot) but he finally has skin growing over the bone and I can hardly see it anymore. However, it does not look like he is going to regenerate a new limb just because he has a partial amputation and nothing like the girl I purchased with a full amputation and complete regeneration. I could be wrong and for both our sakes, I hope I am.

Ciddian

Reaction score
Oohh thank you for your imput! I will keep taking photos and we will see what happens i guess :)

It actually does seem like some growth came in since i brought him home. I didnt want to bother him right away.

Kathleen

Banned
Reaction score
I learned after receiving a Paddle Tail in error that they are VERY AGGRESSIVE. They may seem to get along with other species; DO NOT MIX THEM WITH OTHER NEWTS - NOT EVEN THEIR OWN. I read of an incident where a Padle Tail bit the leg off a Tiger Salamander. DO NOT TRUST THEM UNLESS THEY ARE ALONE!

Ciddian

Reaction score
I learned after receiving a Paddle Tail in error that they are VERY AGGRESSIVE. They may seem to get along with other species; DO NOT MIX THEM WITH OTHER NEWTS - NOT EVEN THEIR OWN. I read of an incident where a Padle Tail bit the leg off a Tiger Salamander. DO NOT TRUST THEM UNLESS THEY ARE ALONE!

Yes I understand, thank you for the reminder. I personally did not house this newt with others, the pet shop did.

I'll try to get an update asap, the little bit of bone has fallen off and it seems to have a bit more growth.

rigsby

Reaction score
looks to me as long as the wound did not become infected as Rodrigo says the leg should regrow, the piece of white "bone" will drop off in time and the leg should start to regrow.

Ciddian

Reaction score
Yes Ian you are exactly right! :)

Newt is doing well! Check it out :3

The white bone bit fell off and new growth started to really grow in. The lil guy has a new 5 gallon for himself at the moment with a internal fluval for some major water flow which he seems to enjoy.

s'he seems a bit more chubby which makes me feel better.
Jessphotos019.jpg

Jessphotos022.jpg

Ciddian

Reaction score
You guys!!! X)

7 days later and there shall be toes!!! omfg its so cute.. Heh!

Jessphotos023-1.jpg

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's awesome! May I use your photos on Caudata Culture?

Ciddian

Reaction score
I would be delighted ^^ You can definatly use the photos. This website is the one that helped me get the right set up for the lil guy.

ty :)

keechoo

Reaction score
That is wonderful! Looks beautiful and what an awesome photo!

Ciddian

Reaction score
thank you for the support :)

Aug 7/08

More photos. Not much bulk to the new arm but I dunno. Least he has it.
He gets earth worms everyday now, he's -always- hungry. I try to give him bloodworms and krill as well. I am going to work on adding more items to his diet.

DSC03561.jpg

DSC03562.jpg

DSC03569.jpg

DSC03570.jpg

DSC03571.jpg

DSC03572.jpg

DSC03573.jpg

DSC03574.jpg

DSC03575.jpg

DSC03577.jpg

DSC03580.jpg

and a Vid of him/her eating some worms! :3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny7vgN3ftq8

Thanks for looking ^^

Ciddian

Reaction score
Small update :)

More beefy and I am pretty sure that I might have a female. What an awesome little newt. She's still at my desk and keeps me company while i nerd around on the computer.

I am slowly changing the tank over to a more planted set up. Currently dealing with diatoms so i added two new zebra nerites just to maybe give me a bit of a hand with it.

Her right was the missing arm.

Nov/08
DSC04041_edited.jpg

DSC04042.jpg

DSC04043.jpg

Thank you for looking :)

spoons

Reaction score
thats awesome ! looks like you have a very well fed newt , to regrow that quickly is pretty amazing too , its taken over a year for one of mine to regrow one , it kind of slowed down when the toes started to regrow !

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1