Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Breeding Axolotls

GwenjaminButto

Reaction score
So my boy (i assume) laid a sperm sack (little cone of clear jelly with a white ball at the top tip)

Overnight it has gone and just left behind is about half the clear jelly, would my female of taken this in or should all the jelly be gone too? I'm just wondering if she's mushed it into the sand or something because last time we saw sperm only 2 eggs followed that didn't develop!!! Is there anything I can do to help them breed??

GwenjaminButto

Reaction score
So my boy (i assume) laid a sperm sack (little cone of clear jelly with a white ball at the top tip)

Overnight it has gone and just left behind is about half the clear jelly, would my female of taken this in or should all the jelly be gone too? I'm just wondering if she's mushed it into the sand or something because last time we saw sperm only 2 eggs followed that didn't develop!!! Is there anything I can do to help them breed??

Another sperm sack has been laid!

Minniechild

Reaction score
I think the best thing you can do is to give them time. Sometimes it takes years until a female is ready to breed, and often the first few lays are unsuccessful. Other times you'll believe you're not going to have eggs for months, and then they go and turn the tank into a pool of jelly... The best you can do is ensure the tank is well cycled, set up, their diet is providing them with everything the need to be in the best condition (preferably earthworms, also high qualoty pellets if worms aren't around) you could also start stocking bbs eggs- ebay is great for them at a good price, as well as begin gathering containers for rearing.
Hope you have some luck soon!

GwenjaminButto

Reaction score
I think the best thing you can do is to give them time. Sometimes it takes years until a female is ready to breed, and often the first few lays are unsuccessful. Other times you'll believe you're not going to have eggs for months, and then they go and turn the tank into a pool of jelly... The best you can do is ensure the tank is well cycled, set up, their diet is providing them with everything the need to be in the best condition (preferably earthworms, also high qualoty pellets if worms aren't around) you could also start stocking bbs eggs- ebay is great for them at a good price, as well as begin gathering containers for rearing.
Hope you have some luck soon!

These guy's have already been breeding though! Their previous owner said they did quite well and laid a lot of eggs on sand :/ Either they didn't like the move or I'm doing something wrong!! They boy's laid at least 4 spermatophores now and all of them have had the white bit taken off the top somehow.... I just didn't see how! Hoping it was my girl and they haven't got mushed into the sand!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1