Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My axolotls laid eggs... unexpectedly....

Reaction score
I was on vacation last week and it just so happened that while I was gone my axolotls laid eggs! I’ve done my research, but I’ve never raised axolotl eggs before so any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I culled the majority of the eggs because I know I would never be able to raise three or four hundred larvae. I kept a dozen or two but I’m still trying to decide if I have the time to raise that many. What do you think?

I also had some questions about food. Both BS eggs and microworms are available at my local pet stores, but I haven’t been able to find daphnia anywhere nearby or online. It sounds like microworms are the easiest to raise and to feed to the babies, but I’ve also read that the axolotls wont grow as fast eating them as they will eating brine shrimp or daphnia. The problem with buying brine shrimp is that it sounds as though it takes some time to incubate and hatch them, but because I was on vacation and they apparently laid them some time before I arrived home I won’t have much time before the babies hatch.

The other thing is I don’t know which of my axolotls laid the eggs. I have three in a 29 gallon tank right now, two Leucistics and one GFP Leucistic. My regular lucies I bought from a breeder who told me they were female, and I believe they are, but my GFP I was given for free. The lady who gave it to me said that her breeder had told her it was female, and she also said it was about two years old. It looked like a female up until about three months ago. Now I know it definitely wasn’t >.< What do you suggest I do?

Thank you in advance. Sorry for such a long post!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!