Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl ate tank decoration- advice

Giuseppe

Reaction score
Today I noticed that several of the tentacles of this decoration (pic) were missing and I haven't found them anywhere around the tank.. I have to conclude that my axolotl ate them. They're eating normally although I haven't seen any solid pieces of poo so I'm not sure if they're pooping. Behaving totally normally as well. I'm just not sure what to do I'm very worried for them even tho they're acting fine, should I fridge them? The decoration is removed now it was stupid to have it in the tank as the first place because of course the tentacles look like worms to an axi. I feel tremendously guilty and not sure what to do from here

Attachments

• 71pyZ3Sq5QL._SX425_.jpg
    71pyZ3Sq5QL._SX425_.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 1,116

Giuseppe

Reaction score
Update- the axolotl is definitely pooping now, much messier than usual and at one point the "tentacle" was stuck dangling from her bum but she seems to have passed at least that portion. Still wondering if there's anything I should be doing for her to make things safer/more comfortable?

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Oh no! Was it one of the big or small tentacles? Is it silicone? I would think it would be hard to eat, I caught my turtle trying to munch on a long bit of silicone once. That being said axolotls can do strange things. If you don't notice any poop for a week and they refuse any food you may want to fridge, but wait until you are sure. Check your filter in case it got sucked up.

Giuseppe

Reaction score
It was a few of the skinny ones that are missing. Pretty sure it's silicone.
I didn't think anything of adding it to their tank because I had one in with my much more voracious/aggressive axolotl (that I can't even keep marimo with because she eats them) and she never was interested in it and when she bit it on accident going for food it didn't tear off.
I'm slightly reassured as she is pooping but still terrified about what it could be doing to her insides :/

Giuseppe

Reaction score
It was a few of the skinny ones that are missing. Pretty sure it's silicone.
I didn't think anything of adding it to their tank because I had one in with my much more voracious/aggressive axolotl (that I can't even keep marimo with because she eats them) and she never was interested in it and when she bit it on accident going for food it didn't tear off.
I'm slightly reassured as she is pooping but still terrified about what it could be doing to her insides :/

Hayleyy

Reaction score
I didn't see your other comment, I must have replied right as you were typing!
At least you know what happened. Try and keep track of how much of it comes out against how much is missing. The only thing that may help is fridging but I wouldn't do it unless they aren't pooping. Goodluck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1