Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

A bit of a intro

pastelpickel

Reaction score
emergency! infected tank or axolotl? another life at risk

sorry to be so abrupt, this is my first time reaching out but i'm in a bit of a crisis.

i got my guys in january at a reptile convention. it wasn't big. i don't know the ages but they're no more than 6 months old (currently), i would say.

i got two, a leucistic named Pastel, and a golden albino named Pickel.

one of the first odd things i noticed were their irregular feet. i shook this off as a regeneration complication when they were younger and more cannibalistic, perhaps the breeder kept them in a bit too long.

everything was fine until last week. they both had a sudden decrease in appetite, Pickel still ate small amounts and Pastel completely rejected food. i tried freeze-dried bloodworms (my mistake for not buy frozen, unfortunately i'm a beginner) and smaller pieces but nothing worked. next Pastel started to go white. i couldn't tell what was going on, but i had done research and have seen white looking axolotls.. i was still skeptical but too afraid to act on anything. and recently, after 3-4 days of not eating, Pastel passed. he had started floating in the water all of today but seemed to still have energy. today i also noticed round, ball shaped white spots in his gills. i think it's a fungal infection but once again i was worried about causing more harm. i kept testing the water, but i just couldn't decide what to do.

i wasn't quick to help Pastel, but he had always acted a little different and i have a slight feeling he wasn't going to live very long naturally..

but if it is a fungal thing or any sort of thing that is in my water/tank and if my other axie needs to be saved i need to do it now.

Pickel shows no symptoms like Pastel. he's great in color, eating (small amounts, but my water temp is a bit too high right now and i'm waiting for a water bottle to freeze), and he's not floating. he has not white in his gills or anywhere. i'm paranoid.

i had the thought of putting him in a separate container, taking him out completely and try to fix the water.

i'm snowed in as well, the roads are bad and making it to a pet store is improbable. it'd have to wait until tomorrow. all i have on me is salt, freshwater, and worms. one of my other theories is i need to change the filter, but like i said i can't get anything right now. so should i put him in a sort of quarantine tank until further notice?

(apologies for the long post, i'm very paranoid and anxious for my other baby's life)

NexSocius

Reaction score
Re: emergency! infected tank or axolotl? another life at risk

Is your tank cycled?
What are the water parameters?
Do you dechlonate their water?

And.... I suggest you tub your other one with fresh dechlorinated water, just incase there is something nasty in the tank

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1