Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Inexperienced but lucky Firebelly Mom

Firebelly Mom

Reaction score
Hi and thanks for allowing me in to this site. I appreciate its very existence! Just a bit about me and my interest. About 8 years ago I "inherited" a firebelly newt. A friend of a friend was going through a divorce. Four years prior he'd gotten a firebelly newt for his then 6 year old who had grown tired of it and long-story short, his soon-to-be ex-wife was threatening death by flushing. He himself was going to be on the road for 6 months and being aware of my reputation as an animal advocate, he asked if I'd care for "Bart" in his absence. I was concerned knowing nothing about newts, but I couldn't bear the thought of a horrible end, so I accepted. I then did some serious research on care, etc. I decided to improve the tank Bart was in. And within weeks "Bart" rewarded me by laying eggs. Obviously "Bart" had been mis-named. That's why I say I'm an inexperienced but lucky firebelly mom - I held my breath and crossed my fingers when I first starting caring for her. I've come to love Bart (Bartie) and have been so touched by our "interactions" - she greets me, and we are able to interact through the tank. Of note, this friend of friend responsibly got back to me after a few months. He still was traveling but said he'd figure a way to take Bart back. I told him "no rush". Time and fate ultimately decided Bartie's forever home would be with me. At this point she's at least 12. I've read conflicting information about how long they live, but her soulful eyes and sweet face make me hope she has more years to share with me. Oh and I should mention, her left front foot is slightly mis-shapen and smaller. It looks genetic, not post injury. He said she was like that when he bought her. Her little "defect" is something that has made me love her even more.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! I knew someone who had a firebelly for over 25 years. Just a single firebelly, in a little tank .

AuSu

Reaction score
Welcome!
I'm happy you have Bart with you, it was a nice story. Our firebelly newts are at least the same age and they show no signs of aging, yet.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!