Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Gulping ,sickly granulosa

G

gord

I've had a granulosa that's not been well for several weeks.He'd been in quarantine with another one I bought in May and seemed to be doing ok, and was eating ok. Not great. In August I moved these 2 in with my long term pair, and one instantly made it self at home. This other one just crawled up on land and did nothing.Now its gulping and refuses to eat. Even the wiggliest worm is ignored. It's losing weight and I've quarantined it again.

Should I force feed it? I've never tried, and am afraid of hurting the newt,but it is headed for anorexia fast. It still has enough meat on its bones to get well.

And does anyone know what the gulping means?

Should I put it in small land enclosure for now?
It is in a 5 gallon 50/50 set up.

Thoughts?

Gord

P

pin-pin

Hey Gord,

Now that it's stopped eating, it might be worthwhile to take a sample of the fecal matter to the vet to see if there are any infection (yes, not eating = not producing poop, but try to put it in a container with wet unbleached paper towels and sometimes you can get enough for a sample.)

I'm not sure about the gulping.

Hope it pulls through.

G

gord

pin pin:

Sorry about the double thread..just trying to get help.

I've decided to do a salt bath and dirt quarantine.I think the lumps may be skin infection.

The gulping is a bit baffling.

I'm going to try this and see what happens.

Gord

E

ester

Heya Gord,
do you have any pictures of the skin problems and the gulping?

Make sure you offer a good hiding spot, they do like to hide when they're not feeling well.
Have you tried wax moth larvae?

I have a few taricha with lumps on their skin, I suspect it's a kind of mite but it doesn't seem to bother them. I am hoping that a cold winter might help get rid of the lumps. I remember an observation from Nate about mite infestations of slimy newts. Something about slimies not having as many mites or even no mites at all early in the season.

If you try to force feed, I can give you some suggestions. I had to force feed a taricha of mine earlier this year.

Ester

G

gord

Ester:

Thanks for your thoughts.I now have this guy in a closed dirt container with hides.Im hoping a change in venue and a little quiet may help.I gave him one salt bath to see what will happen.

I've thrown in some small earthworms in case it gets its appetite back.

I'll take pics if the problem persists.

I'm not going to force feed yet,but if I do i'll ask for help.

Gord

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1