Long Distance Transport

J

james

Hi all,

I am moving to another part of New Zealand next month, and I have two adult axolotls that I couldn't bear to leave behind. The trip will take a couple of days, ~16 hours driving and a 4 hour ferry ride.

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with transporting axolotl's this sort of distance? Will the rocking of a car drive them mad? What should I put in their tank floor / what should I use as a tank?

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.
James

That's a very long time for a journey and the animals will be stressed. Can you not break it up and them ahead.

The ride in the tank won't drive them mad but it will stress them. A shallow plastic container with a lid is the way to go if you must.

But you must remember that you will have no way filter the water, no way to keep it cool (saloon or estate car?) probably best not to feed, will have to carry containers of spare dechlorinated water. Find somewhere cool dark motion free to keep them overnight give them a break etc.

Common sense and your own experience is probably best advice if you need to do this.

I would use those styrofoam coolers you can get for fishing/camping. They're cheap and would maintain cool temperatures better than normal plastic containers. Double up the coolers (they're a bit thin sometimes) and pack the bottoms with ice packs. See if you can get some large fish bags from your local store, and put your axolotls in those. I'd put one in each bag, and bring a few extras for changing water. Blankets and any other soft, vibration absorbing materials packed around and under the coolers would help minimise the stress. The quieter you can make it for them, the better!

That's a good idea Leah. But why not put plastic containers into the Gotts/Rubbermaids (whatever) and pack them round with blankets inside them.

I am sure you must have the same things in Oz/Nz...big chest cooler box. I brought mine back from mid east but I think they came from USA.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back