can axies re grow new gills.

twm2006

Ambystoma Enthusiast
Reaction score
Country
Wales
Display Name
Thompson
my axie was put in with gold fish for 2 mins when i cleaned the ank out and my sisters fat gold fish took a gill clean off!!!!!!!

will it re grow back and how long will it take?

will it be normal????

Yes axies can re-grow gills (and limbs too by the way) it might take a while and it might not look the exact same as before but it will eventually grow back.

Axies are very good at regenerating lost bits but do not always do a perfect job. The gill will probably end up almost as new but could be shorter or branched or misshapen. Young axolotls regenerate quicker than older ones but you will see a gill regrow over a few weeks.

If the wound becomes infected consider putting the axolotl in the fridge for a few days and this may also be wise if the axolotl has a companion as they are attracted by the smell of blood and may go for the adjacent gills.

you shouldn't really need to remove the axie when doing a water change, but if you must a bucket with some of it's tank water will suffice, and may be a bit safer too :D

Hi Thompson,

Yes they can, Have a look at the mixing disasters at www.axolotl.org it will show you the risks of tank mates

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back