Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Festive Newt

T

tyler

I recently thought of the idea of decorating my newt tank for special events. Like for christmas turning my aquarium into a winter wonderland. Would removing my newt's coconut house and replacing it with a plastic gingerbread house for 2 weeks seriously stress my newt? I would make sure everything was cycled and healthy before puting it in of course.

T

tyler

Well if I change her surroundings she could become confused. It also would be a less natural setup. On the other hand it probably wouldn't upset her. People put legos in. My situation is replacing all of the twigs and leaves with legos.

ali

Reaction score
Be careful that the gingerbread house doesn't have glitter or a scent that could come off like many festive decorations have.

I don't think I would do that, but that's just my preference. I might hang some garland on the wall over the tanks or something, but that's about it. Maybe festive colored lighting.

(Message edited by cortana on October 10, 2006)

T

tyler

Yeah I'd check for glitter before setting the tank up. Hmm.. well I'll stay away from this idea for now, but I would like to know if this would effect my newt.

L

leanne

Hey Tyler,
I have had success using different plastic items made by Fisher Price----they are non-toxic and can be used in the water. Share a photo if you change your tank into a Winter Wonderland!
71833.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!