Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New to worms.

RogueAngel

Reaction score
These are my first axies and was told to get worm as they love them so ive ordered some and im now waiting for them to arrive but im not sure what to do with them do i wash them or cut them up i just dont no what if there big fat long things my axies are only about 5/6" long will they choke this probable sounds silly but i had two babies 1.5cm they both died i was devastated so cant stop worrying about these two :(

ACEPHONECHIC

Reaction score
Yes I would always advise washing the worms. I keep my worms in a plastic aquarium with lid in peat/soil mix and feed jacket potato. When I want to feed them i have an old ceramic mug I drop them in and then swirl around with some water from my waterbutt. I do not like cutting them so try to purchase the smallest size ones from worms direct. Though axies the size of yours will tackle quite reasonable size worms. If any are too large leave them back in the wormery and they will have young and the little worms are ideal for smaller axies or for my young newts. if you cut worms they can give off a nasty juice so will still need to be washed to make them palatable.

snootyfox

Reaction score
Hi Donna,
This is my first post, I'm fairly new to axies too, I've had my little leucistic male Puck for 2 months and my black female Elvira for a week. My experience when it came to feeding took me some time to get down pat - when I first got puck he wouldn't eat for about a week which terrified me, but then he started chucking up live snails. Genuinely. The shop I got him from were horrific and had him in with lots of things he was eating! But that's true of everywhere - unless you're an axie lover then you don't spend the time researching these guys properly. Anyway, now Puck never stops eating, and he will have a go at pretty much any thing I dangle at him. Mostly he loves worms, those river shrimp you can buy "out the back" at aquatic or reptile shops, and the odd minnow as a treat. As you're new I will give you a bit of advice - DON'T go into British pet shops asking for 'feeder fish'. I have been booted out of a few even when I'm like "Oh, hello, I'm just looking for some guppies for my lovely tank, not planning on feeding them to anything, oh no, lovely guppies lalala" :cool: I think they must have some kind of blacklist that I'm on as they always know now and refuse to sell me even a baby goldfish. I had to order a little school of native minnows (grey horrible things) and quarantine them for a week, prioritising getting them healthy for my axie and feeding them highly nutritious foods. They have gorgeous metallic scales now, and look so healthy I'd smother them in ketchup and have them on toast myself (almost pilchards, right?)....

But anyway, you're doing the right thing with worms, they are fantastically nutrient filled, I just like to give a little fishie every so often for a bit of variety and a little omega 3.

However - When we got Elvira (as in, Mistress of the Dark, she's a funny little goth) she absolutely refused to eat. I know she was highly stressed when we got her, in a tank with 2 HUGE girls, her pretty burgundy gills curled right forward and heat marks all over, and she'd been eating absolute **** at her petstore. I wouldn't have been surprised if she'd been on the KFC in there - the place had that kind of feel to it. Anyway myself and the Mr, well we were losing sleep about it big time and really didn't want to put her in the big tank with Puck when she hadn't eaten since we'd got her, in case she got in the mood for snacking whilst we weren't there and had a nibble on Puck! But eventually we had to move her over as she just didn't have enough room in the little tank. She lurked around the bottom of the tank, not showing any interest in food, and when she eventually went to bite at a worm, the minute it wriggled, she freaked completely. So we came to the conclusion that she was frightened of live foods, as she's only ever eaten things that were past human consumption previously. Anyway, enough of all the back story and hijacking your thread, I'm getting to my point. Whilst washing off a worm for Puck last night, I couldn't face getting my hands under the cold tap as I was freezing, so I just rinsed it under a warm- not hot- tap. It died immediately - but it also gave off this kind of (please don't be sick) 'cooked' smell. Lightning struck, and I thought I'd let Elvy have a go. As soon as she got a whiff of it she perked up, and after a few attempts sucking it in and spitting it out, she eventually wrestled it in and she's been a different axie since. She seems happier, and keen to eat more... I literally just watched her snap at a random floating bit of plant - she's discovered eating and I don't think she's going to stop now! ^_^
I'll try her again a bit later today, as I want them both fed up before I'm away for the weekend, and will chuck in a few river shrimps before I'm off.

Anyway, the point of all of that was, if your axies don't immediately take to worms, rinse them in warm water to begin with to get them used to it, then try them on live ones after a while so they learn to fight for their food. And don't try and buy feeder fish - ever!

RogueAngel

Reaction score
thank you all so much feel a bit better now about feeding them although im not looking forward to touching the worms yuk lol :p

wang82

Reaction score
Hi i dig my worms from the garden in mass quantities and store them in a plastic drum and just put a few bananas on the top as this seems to attract them to the top. I always wash them and store them in the house in a jar with some wet tissue for a maximum of 24 hrs they die after that, this will remove most of the earth, i then wash them again and squeeze as much of the remaining earth out as possible.

Hope this helps and good luck :)

wang82

Reaction score
Hi i keep my worms in a plastic container in the garden and dig them up in mass quantities to save regular digging.
I place a couple of bananas on the top as food and this seems to attract the worms to the surface and just replace them when they have complete rotted.
I always wash them and store them the house in a jar with some wet tissue for a maximum of 24 hrs they don't last much longer than that, this should remove most of the earth i then wash them again and squeeze as much the remaining earth out as possible.
I do cut the them but i don't really like doing this.

obicat

Reaction score
You can usually pick up guppies pretty cheap on ebay if your having problems locally :happy:

Where are people getting their worms from? And how small are the smallest? I want some for my newts, but not sure if they would be too big for my juveniles or not?

kiathepooch

Reaction score
I get my worms from my parents compost bin and keep them in a similar setup in my house-plastic box with veg,tea bags and cardboard.
When I'm going to feed them I pick some out and put them in a dish to soak for a while.
I tried using tap water to soak them but my axolotls wouldn't eat them whereas they do when they're soaked in dechlorinated water,probably just coincidence!

Sent,using the power of my mind.....

J

jcj57

I just pluck mine out of the compost and rinse with tap water to remove the dirt, then move to another container and add tank water. I use a turkey baster and drop them right in front of my axies, most of the time they dont even get completely out of the baster, gone in a split second. I try give them the smaller skinnier worms rather than the big fat ones... usually about 1 to 2 inches long and about as thick as 5 to 8 ply wool. And I never chop them.

RogueAngel

Reaction score
Hi everyone i have a new member of the family a wild type axie hes about 3 inches he had his first worm 2 days ago im currently feeding them all 2 worms every other day then dried pellets or blood worm inbetween does this sound ok im worried about over feeding them but also about under feeding them im feeding them once everyday is that ok ive read people feeding every other day but at what size should i do this my first two are about 6 inches and my little fellas only 3 inches so is he a bit small to be fed every other day there all happily living together in a 4ft tank so any advice would help thanks :confused:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1