Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Salamandra salamandra terrestris

Reaction score
My Salamandra s. terrestris where exploring their new outdoor enclosure today so I took some quick snaps! :D

Y3RjOrI.jpg

amgYjST.jpg

IMlDHFf.jpg

sde

Reaction score
Nice photos! They are beautiful salamanders also. Are they wc or captive bred? Also do they have a emergency tank/ heater encase the weather gets to cold? And do you think you could give some info on the building of the enclosure? Its something i have thought about before as well an would love some info. :happy: -Seth

Reaction score
They are captive bred but I am looking to get some WC adults from dartfrog to add some new blood to my group. I keep them in a 100 litte RUB and bring them in when it's too cold.

vince59

Reaction score
your terrestris are very beautiful. I have a enclo de3.5m on 1.6 with a small pool and galaries below for the winters. The configuration is simple and effective.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
S.s.terrestris is not legally imported from anywhere in its distribution. If Dartfrog is offering WC animals, once again they are offering animals that have been collected illegally. I would strongly urge you not to support this illegal market. The captive gene pool for this subspecies is HUGE, and there is no need for wild blood, particularly illegally collected wild blood.

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I believe that these are LTC WC animals from another keeper's enclosure. However, a large batch of fresh WC, pale yellow terrestris came into the UK a short while ago via Monkfields (at least they were on this wholesaler's lists). I saw some of these animals and they were large adults with the females full of larvae. I don't know where they were collected from, but the colour was very unusual - much more pale lemon colour than the normal deep yellow of this subspecies.It is very frustrating that these were imported and sold 'in plain view'...

Reaction score
I believe that these are LTC WC animals from another keeper's enclosure. However, a large batch of fresh WC, pale yellow terrestris came into the UK a short while ago via Monkfields (at least they were on this wholesaler's lists). I saw some of these animals and they were large adults with the females full of larvae. I don't know where they were collected from, but the colour was very unusual - much more pale lemon colour than the normal deep yellow of this subspecies.It is very frustrating that these were imported and sold 'in plain view'...

They sounds very interesting! Never seen a fire salamander with very pale coloration before! Also I was wondering if I bought a red terrestris and introduced it to my group would there be a chance the offspring would be red or would they all be yellow?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!