Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Salamandra excrement

F

foster

Two weeks ago I picked up four Salamandra s. terrestris at a show in South Carolina. They are of somewhat varying sizes however all are small. I have been keeping them in a large plastic "critter carrier" with a paper towel substrate and inverted plastic saucers (with holes cut) for shelter. They have all been feeding well on earthworm chunks and insects. I have to change the paper towels frequently because of the large amount of urine put out. So far however I have only found two stools. Is this normal for this species? I have decided that if they all continue to do well (all appear to have good weight) that I am going to bypass parasite treatment however I do not want to take any chances. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Chip

J

jennifer

If they are small Salamandra, they are most likely captive bred. Thus, treating for parasites is unlikely to be necessary. If they are eating, I wouldn't worry about infrequent stools.

F

foster

Thanks for the input Jen. I forgot to mention that the dealer actually said that they are WC. The smallest is around 5 cm total length and the largest is probably twice that size (roughly - I have not actually measured them).
Chip

E

ester

I wasn't aware there was a location where one could obtain legal WC Salamandra s. terrestris. Of course what I'm not aware of could fill many books
happy.gif

I wouldn't worry too much about the animals. As long as all are eating well they mainly need rest and plenty of hiding spots.

F

foster

I must confess that I know nothing about the laws regarding the collection of European herps however I certainly do hope that they are not of illegal origin. I have seen quite a few ads on kingsnake recently advertising WC Salamandra so I assumed that the ones I purchased were part of the same shipment(s). Also, correct me if I am wrong but I thought that most of the WC Salamandra offered (at least in the states) are terrestris. I must confess that I felt like I sold a little of my soul to this dealer as well because he offered almost nothing but wild collected animals and do not like to support these individuals.
Chip

I

ingo

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Ester van Strien wrote on Saturday, 12 November, 2005 - 22:08 :</font>

"I wasn't aware there was a location where one could obtain legal WC Salamandra s. terrestris"<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>
It is still possible to collect Salamandra legally in some east european countries, but I think they belong to the nominate form S.s.salamandra.

E

ester

Yep that's what I thought too. Hence my surprise at WC Salamandra s. terrestris.
However, Foster, I didn't mean to criticize you obtaining a few of these charming little animals. I merely wanted to express my surprise at a trader being able to obtain WC terrestris.

I'm looking forward to hearing your experiences. This time next year you're probably looking at animals that are 12-14cm in length. My little terrestris grew from 7-8 cm in march to 12-14cm now.

F

foster

<<<it>>>

OK so I am not sure which subspecies that I have now. All of the individuals have lots of yellow although I realize this is of limited help for a positive ID. For what it's worth, the animals that I have a lot look like the "screamer yellows" being advertised on kingsnake this month.
Otherwise they are doing well overall. The largest individual stopped feeding after the first week so I moved it to a separate enclosure. It is still reluctant to accept food but has been feeding on earthworm sections. The other three are enthusiastic feeders and quite personable (for salamanders anyway), often coming out and pacing when I am in the room.
Chip

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!