Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bloated Juve

B

bob

Hi this guy has got very bloated in the last month or two. Dont know what is wrong with him. Any ideas guys. Cheers.

46557.jpg
46558.jpg

I

ingo

Hi,

Before I try to guess what might be wrong, first some questions:
How old are the Salamanders?
What and how much do you feed? Do you feed with tweezers or do you put the food just into the terrarium?
Does he still eat?

B

bob

They are about 9months old. I just throw in some micro crickets into the terranium about 10 every two weeks. Its hard to know if its still eating as they hide during the day. I have them just on damp kitchen roll as substrate, with some moss and hidey holes for them. Ive started powdering the crickets with a calcium supplement i got in the reptile shop. Hope this helps, my poor wee sally
sad.gif

I

ingo

Hi Bob,

according to your Info we can exclude overfeeding;

10 micro crickets in two weeks for 2 juvenile Fire Salamanders seems too little to me, and in addition to that, you should alter different food types (of which Ester already mentioned an other example).
In my opinion, the best food is self-caught insects, earthworms etc. from the wild (if it´s possible for you to do so).

Is the kitchen roll always that wet, as it looks in the picture? Do the Sals have the possibility to chose hiding places with different humidity?

B

bob

Im actually thinking your right Ingo Schilk. There is no dry place for them to go. Do you think its some sort of water retention? Im gonna get a couple of slates for the sally to have a dry area to go on to.

J

jeff

How often do you change out the paper towel? You should be changing it out at least twice a week. A moist paper towel is a perfect place for bacteria to multiply.

B

bob

I change the paper towel about once a week. If it is an infection what should i do? Ive noticed that he is still bloated if not more so. I will try and get a new pic up tonight.

B

bob

heres a new pic. Hes definately getting bigger. What should i do guys?
46783.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!