Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What about Goldfish???

justin

Reaction score
My friend has really good luck with certain feeder fish...I've always had poor luck; seems every time I tried my axolotls would have a mild fungal infection. It usually cleared up within a week or so without much attention, but it's worry-some nonetheless. If you are going to use feeder fish, use something like guppies and cultivate your own supply.

E

edward

Hi Ester,
The parasite issue gets thrown around a lot as a reason to not feed fish to other things but I am still looking for a list/good reference(s) that documents the types of parasites/frequency of transmission.
There are some reasons to not use goldfish the main one is that goldfish are high in saturated fat. If goldfish are used at all then they should only be used as a very occasional treat.

Ed

pete

Reaction score
I've feed my axolotl an occasional goldfish with no ill effects. The biggest problem for me is that the axolotl has a lot of difficulty catching them. I can reduce this problem by lowering the water level while the fish are in the aquarium. I think earthworms, small crayfish, and shrimp are a much easier for a large axolotl to catch if you want a live food.

B

benjamin

Are there any similarly sized fish to gold fish that are leaner?

E

edward

It doesn't have to be leaner, just contain less saturated fats and more unsaturated fats.
Livebearers fit this bill pretty well but some such as gambusia are known to pick at the fish's gills. It is better to keep them seperate, kill the fish and offer it immediatly to the axolotl.

Ed

L

laura

happy.gif
Are they dead or alive!

Kellybishop

Reaction score
Well ive got to admit that when i first started to get interested in these great animals, my boyfriend & I took part it catching a large amount of young gold fish from home and placed them in my sisters tank of two axolotls just to see what would happen....yes from 14 fish to only a few swiming around in the morning....they loved them for a change! A great treat I say and yes alive helps their natural instincts i think. :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!