Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Strauchii larvae are hatching

Molch

Reaction score
My strauchii have produced viable eggs for the first time, and they are now hatching. I got the adults from Jennewt a few years back; they were young newts then, just reaching adulthood.

While the females laid eggs every year, they have always been unfertilized, suggesting that the boys needed a bit more time growing up maybe..

interestingly, in previous years I always cooled them down in the storage room prior to egg laying, but this year I didn't do that and left them in their main tank, which was at ca. 62 F at the time they laid the eggs.

So anyways, here I am with my first strauchii larvae. I have about 30 viable eggs. Eggs are 2 different ages, suggesting 2 laying events, maybe 2 different females. I have no daphnia at the time, so I'll attempt to raise them starting with tiny chopped blackworms, at least until I can order a Daphnia culture somewhere..

Those of you who have raised strauchii, any advice on what might be different as compared to raising other species?

Stupot1610

Reaction score
My strauchii have produced viable eggs for the first time, and they are now hatching. I got the adults from Jennewt a few years back; they were young newts then, just reaching adulthood.

While the females laid eggs every year, they have always been unfertilized, suggesting that the boys needed a bit more time growing up maybe..

interestingly, in previous years I always cooled them down in the storage room prior to egg laying, but this year I didn't do that and left them in their main tank, which was at ca. 62 F at the time they laid the eggs.

So anyways, here I am with my first strauchii larvae. I have about 30 viable eggs. Eggs are 2 different ages, suggesting 2 laying events, maybe 2 different females. I have no daphnia at the time, so I'll attempt to raise them starting with tiny chopped blackworms, at least until I can order a Daphnia culture somewhere..

Those of you who have raised strauchii, any advice on what might be different as compared to raising other species?

Fantastic! That's great to hear, good luck with them :)
I'm looking Forward to hearing how you get on with them.

Stuart

sde

Reaction score
Congrats Molch! I know this a been a while coming for you, I remember seeing older posts about how they weren't successfully breeding. Good to hear it was successful this time around. Now have fun raising those larvae, and good luck!

Molch

Reaction score
thanks all - yeah, I haven't been posting lately, mainly because I get bored with the internet, not with the newts :) All my newts are fine. I have the larvae in a simple setup and am trying to start them on chopped blackworms and brine shrimp. We'll see how it goes...
cheers

mladaboleslaw

Reaction score
icon1.gif
Re: Strauchii larvae are hatching
Congrats Molch...Supper!!![/QUOTE]

Molch

Reaction score
so far so good. They have started well on chopped blackworms and growing fast.

Molch

Reaction score
Hi all,
quick update: The remaining larvae thrived and have now all morphed in to 16 fat, shiny little spotted newtlets. They look great and eat everything that's not nailed down. I should take pics and post those in a few days!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!