Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Temperature effects for Neurergus crocatus

melaniemast

Reaction score
Just thought I'd share a little bit of what I just figured out. I recently bought 2 Neurergus Crocatus Turks and have them in semi aquatic tank (20 gal). When I first put them in they climbed the glass for a few hours but by the next morning mostly just hung out hiding in things, no interest in food or moving around. I bought a thermometer which read the water at 69.9 fahrenheit.

Did some reading and found out they're used to 53-59 degrees in a natural habitat. So I bought a clip on fan and a few days later suspended it above the tank. In a few hours I had the temperature down to about 65 and noticed the newts exploring and way more active than before. I dumped some live blackworms in front of them and right away they went for them when before only showed mild interest and didn't really bother.

Not sure if all of this was due to the temperature difference in the tank or if they're just more acclimated to the environment now; thought I'd share just in case.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!