Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Axies not eating

Malexander

Reaction score
So I’m not exactly new to keeping axolotls. I used to have several and raised many from eggs to adults. I’ve never had trouble with one eating. I’ve been out of the hobby for several years, but went to a reptile show about a month ago. A vendor was selling them and I couldn’t leave without one! I ended up with two. One male wild type and one female copper. Both are roughly 7-8 inches long. They supposedly were eating pellets, so I bought some from the vendor as well. They are the Rangen soft pellets I’ve used in the past. Brought them home and set up a brand new 75 gallon tank for them. They are on sand, have plenty of hides and fake plants. Water parameters are perfect and temp is steady at 68F. I have a sump for filtration with media from my other 75 community tank that is well established to help the tank begin cycling. I do water changes and test the water weekly. I have offered red wigglers that I rinsed with no interest. They won’t eat bloodworms either. The male will eat a single pellet every few days or so. I’ve literally never seen the female eat. They have lost a little weight, but are not badly underweight yet. They were fat when I got them and now you can tell they have each lost a little. They are not under bright lights, and they otherwise appear healthy. Gills look great and no other signs that something may be wrong. I am at a loss and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Do you have access to nightcrawlers? Red wrigglers can emit a nasty smell/taste which axies don't like. Mine refuse to eat them but go crazy over the nightcrawlers.
I wouldn't say it's unusual for axies to go off food when being brought into a new home, it's always happened to me. It took my newest one Steve literally a month before she started eating regularly. She was scared of worms but still wouldn't eat them if I blanched them. The best success I had were pellets and frozen axolotl food, which I don't think you can get in the US (though you could DIY it).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!