Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Video on Caudata.org

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, this is a really cool idea, Alan. I think this has a lot of potential, although I'm not sure I want to start answering forum questions this way.

Why do you say that this wouldn't be a good way to display animal videos? Is the resolution worse than other methods of posting videos?

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Alan: "I don't know if any of you have seen Seesmic.com"

Evidently neither has the vB video plugin writer...

I'll see what I can do about that. Thanks Alan!

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Seesmic isn't allowing registrations right now? That place seems a little hokey to me.

ajc

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
Seesmic is far from hokey ;)
Just sign up on the site and they'll send you a registration code.

ajc

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
Why do you say that this wouldn't be a good way to display animal videos? Is the resolution worse than other methods of posting videos?

Although you can upload videos, the site is designed to record directly from a webcam, so is best suited to talking head video. It takes a while to get your head around Seesmic, best to play with it for a while then form an opinion. Personally, I think it's an import step forward in online communication.

coendeurloo

Reaction score
Excuse me for me ignorance, but what does hokey mean?

The idea sounds nice, I just wouldn't know what to say at the moment though, I mean it's nice to put a face to a name indeed...But I'd be just mumbling nonsense with a Dutch accent ;)

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Alan - when I made my original posts I attempted to sign up but I couldn't find the sign up or registration buttons - that's why I thought it was hokey. I just loaded the homepage and I see a sign up button now.

Coen - hokey means contrived.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Doesn't it seem a little odd that the site does something as costly as host video but doesn't have an obvious way of making money to pay for it? Anybody know what's going on there?

ajc

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
Seesmic is very new and is presently funded by venture capital, much like twitter and many other web 2.0 sites. No, I don't understand it either! :)

coendeurloo

Reaction score
Alan, thanks for the video. I'm not able to reply via webcam at the moment, as I'm laying sick on the couch with my laptop. Your pronounciation of my name was perfect though! I think it's interesting to see where this is going.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm working on making our site parse seesmic videos. Will let you know when I have it done.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Seesmic videos now work. Just post the "link" on a new line in your thread and it'll work. That was a pain but at least I oiled the old php gears.

Dalabrae

Reaction score
So how do we embed the video from say youtube, trying to do it on another thread but can't seem to get it to work.

..... never mind I worked it out, :)

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1