Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Greetings from Auckland

Marlies

Reaction score
Hello,
I have 2 Japanese Fire Bellied Newts, they are around 5months old. One has shed his gills and is hanging out on land, the other is about to change. I've had them for a month so far and I think they are fascinating. I joined Caudata yesterday because I was worried about my newt that has 'come out' he was hanging out looking a bit dead in the water.. I 'rescued him' and he just went back in to the water, lol, I think he was just sleeping. I haven't been able to find out a lot about this stage.. like how long can efts hold their breath? They are still so small that I do worry abut them! Also will they still feed from the water? I've given him wingless fruit flies but not sure if he is eating or if they are drowning in the tank. Anyway, they are mostly my questions at the moment, I will put them in the appropriate forum :happy:
Marlies

AuSu

Reaction score
Hello & Welcome to the forum!
If they're around five months, they'll probably morph real soon. Losing gills is sign of morphing. Some people have raised them aquatically too, there's a thread about it somewhere here. If you set the fruitflies on the land area they could eat from there, too. I'll try to find the links and add here later...

AuSu

Reaction score
Ah, it seems I can't do copy paste with phone but at least in fire belly & swordtail chapter you can use search and find it by " raising fully aquatic". Also caudata Culture has information that might help you!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!