Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Larval newts overwintering in pond

morg

Reaction score
How common is it for Triturus vulgaris larvae to miss morphing on time, and overwinter in the larvel stage?
While cleaning leaves from my garden pond I noticed some very small larvae, that have not even started to lose the gills.
Each year I get frog tadpoles overwintering in the pond, and was just wondering if it is also common in newts.

neil

Reaction score
I've experienced this with both T.helveticus and T.alpestris (secure outdoor enclosure). I have always presumed it is caused by either late spawning in the North of England and/or low food supply in the pond. They then seem to morph late spring at a larger size than those morphing the same year as hatching.

morg

Reaction score
I am looking into building an outdoor enclosure,how did you design yours?
Is it a large brick walled enclosure,wooden, or something else.
Have you had any problems at all, with newts getting out, or anything else getting in?

neil

Reaction score
It's an old brick base from a greenhouse. I incorporated an overhang made from reclaimed roofing slates. To avoid predation from magpies and cats its covered with netting. I could not be 100% sure that its totally escape proof though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!