Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

my larva is not feeding or swimming HELP!!!!

J

john

Larva? Larvae? If it or they have just hatched then don't worry, they may not eat for up to 48 hours after hatching. Even then, they don't swim around much. They must have live food for the first few weeks after hatching or most will die.

J

jonathan

John Clare- It's into 72 hours after they hatched and they still won't swim or eat. I have a alot of Daphnia & Brine shrimp waiting for them for when they do decide to move or eat!!! I'm really worried I'm going to loose all of them!!!
Nice web site also!
Thanx Jonathan

J

john

Can you see yolk in the digestive tract? It should be a pale colour, either creamy or white in colour. When this is used up/disappears, they start to eat. Are we talking about axolotl or Triturus vulgaris larvae? Your two posts have confused me.

-John

J

jonathan

John- I'm talking about Triturus Vulgaris although my axolotls are breeding but i don't have any eggs yet.
My larvae are a light brown colour and have two black lines running the length of the body.They also have the feathery gills but they are so small it's hard to see them.In there digestive tract there is a a small white ball just behind the head(is this the yolk).What is the maximum time for this to be used up.
Jonathan

J

john

I've moved these messages to the Triturus forum.

Anyway, the yoke is generally low down on the body, along the digestive tract. In newly hatched larvae there can be a considerable amount of it so it may look like your description. The colouration you describe is typical for young Triturus larvae but it will change as they develop more pigment cells. As for maximum time, it depends on the temperature they're kept at and how much yoke they have to start with. I'd say anything from 24 hours to 5 days or more, depending on these criteria. Don't worry.

J

jonathan

John- Sorry about the confusion.
I keep them in an unheated tank.Which is maintained at room temperature which is about 15oC.I have a tropical heater but don't know whether to use it????I also have some pond weed(crispa)in with them.
Is it normal for the larvae to lay on the bottom of the tank motionless? Your help so far has been a great help. Thanks
Jonathan

J

john

The larvae of Triturus species from northern Europe do fine at room temperatures and I wouldn't recommend heating them. Yes, staying on the bottom motionless is normal - they don't become free-swimming until after the yoke is gone, as I said.

J

jonathan

Thanks for your help and I apologise if I've been a bit of a pain.
All the best
Jonathan

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1