The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

General Discussion & News from Members Post won't fit elsewhere? Post here! This is also the ideal place for your own news, information on books, amphibians in the media, and off-topic posts.

Old 21st March 2006   #1
tyler

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I'm sure that this was once a topic in the past and I'm not trying to start any wars; I'm just trying to get the pros and cons of owning a terrestrial species and an aquatic species.

Old 21st March 2006   #2
joan

Gallery Images:
Comments:

My opinion:

Aquatic species more active than terrestrial. Easier to see. Terrestrial species don't live in water, so you don't need to worry about water quality and cycling. They tend to be fossorial, so you don't see them as much.

Both are great to have!

Old 21st March 2006   #3
tyler

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Is there any possible way that I can get an active and outgoing species that doesn't involve worrying about water quality and cycling? lol doubt it thanks for your post anyways Joan.

Old 21st March 2006   #4
Alison Brown
(ali)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: ali has started on the right path

Don't be too intimidated about water quality (don't ignore it either). All I did was set up my tank about a month in advance (longer is maybe better?) then put my little newties in. I clean the gravel about once every 2-3 weeks and everything goes fine with my filter and all.

ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2006   #5
garrison

Gallery Images:
Comments:

If anything, at least for me, cycling an aquarium 1 month prior to getting my new acquisition gives me time to get more excited about it and really accomplish some research before I get the animal. This allows me to really be prepared for introduction etc.

Old 21st March 2006   #6
joseph

Gallery Images:
Comments:

With terrestrial sals you have to be concerned about moisture levels. It seems and is much easier to me to just keep them totally wet.

Old 21st March 2006   #7
tyler

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Is it more expensive to do the water way? In a sense I would like to get a newt because it wouldn't be buried all the time. I'm just as Ali said "intimidated" by it all: all those pumps, filters, and gadgets.

Old 21st March 2006   #8
william

Gallery Images:
Comments:

you don't need any of the gadgets as long as you can ensure that you can keep the water quality at an optimum level. especially for some of the easier species. i don't use any "gadgets" for my newt tanks.

Old 21st March 2006   #9
abrahm

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Depending on the newt species all that you would really need as far as a filter goes is a sponge filter which sell for around 20 dollars total.

These filters should provide plenty of surface area for beneficial bacteria, require almost zero maintenance and keep the water well oxygenated. They don't do much for mechanical filtration but in my opinion that's really not necessary if you watch your water parameters and do partial water changes.

Old 21st March 2006   #10
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I think it really comes down to personal preference. Maintaining water is a hassle in some ways, but changing out dirty soil from a terrestrial setup is a hassle in other ways.

Tags
aquatic, species, terrestrial

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 12 (Set)

Biscuit Oliva, cfaas, L Keeper, Ltdanicecream, Peyote, Rayliberty, SeerHawk, shinobido, slater, tigmades, Tim Robin, whiteblaze11