The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Old 16th July 2006   #1
jeff

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Well I have decided that my guys(and hopefully a girl) are big enough and for the most part old enough to figure out whos what. Problem is, I know I have one male, based on the massive cloaca, but the other 2 I am not so sure on. The pictures in the CC sexing artical were helpful, as was Johns page in the axolotl site, but the problem is the remaining 2 seem to have "medium" sized cloacas, not as small compared with the pictures but definatly not as big as the male. Is there some more detailed pictures around someplace that would help me? or a rule of thumb that has to do with comparing it to leg size and such? Im getting frusterated and I am also trying to get a picture or 2 to help but they arn't paying any attention to my instructions very well.

Old 16th July 2006   #2
jeff

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Here is a picture of the supposed female from the top, she looks fairly round to me.
Click the image to open in full size.

Old 17th July 2006   #3
joan

Gallery Images:
Comments:

You know the routine, Jeff... We need a 'money shot'.

Some are pretty ambiguous, the "Pat" of the axolotl world. I think these would be indistinguishable by external examination (meaning you just can't tell by looking at them). The only real way to be sure is if you see eggs or spermatophores being deposited.

Put 'em in together, and if you see eggs, you know you've definately got a female in the midst!

Old 17th July 2006   #4
jeff

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Here is money shot #1
Click the image to open in full size.
im gonna try again next friday when I get back
but for now, how do things look from here? I just got bit trying to pick this one up so for now I am going to stop taking pictures of their privates.

(Message edited by newtsrfun on July 17, 2006)

Old 17th July 2006   #5
joan

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I'd say female. I see very little swelling at all.

Lol, I think that's a normal reaction for any animal if you're trying to take pics of their naughty bits.

Tags
sexing, trouble

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 4 (Set)

aziraphale77, gary123, nikkiboo, Platterpus