Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pregnant, swollen something..?

Kellybishop

Reaction score
A little help :) I don't know if she is carrying or over eating or full of gas or some this kind of worried what does this look like to you.:(
please say if you need different photo.

Attachments

• big axolotl 001.JPG
    big axolotl 001.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 5,974
Last edited:

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Is she sharing her tank with another axolotl and how long have you had her?
I suspect that she may have been accidentally eating the small stones in her tank. I would recommend that you remove it as this size may lead to your axolotl becoming ' bunged' up with stones, this could be fatal.

gary1621

Reaction score
The stones do look a bit small

How is she acting? Is she still eatting?

I hope she feels better soon, please keep us updated :)

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Kellybishop,

I agree with the rest that the stones could potentially cause an impaction. It is advised to have them removed, to prevent any future accidents.

However, based on the photo alone, I don't particularly suspect anything amiss. The rounded belly could mean anything from a matured female axie, to a particularly pudgey axie. Axies with impaction would tend to be rather ill and present with other clinical signs like going off food, floating and such.

Cheers.

Kellybishop

Reaction score
Thank you.
I have watched her over the past 4 weeks and she is still very round. However I have taken her out of the tank with stones (still in a tank with four other axolotls):eek:
Her eating habits are still great, she never had a problem there :p and I have also come to the conclusion that I just have a ‘pudgy’ axolotl. :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!