Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What would be good food for my newly hatches Neurergus kaiseri and where to buy it???i

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When I first notice eggs, I set up a tank with pond water, some pond vegetation and put in a little food so that microorganisms can grow for them to eat. Since you waited until they actually hatched to begin thinking about what to feed them, you don't have time to prepare. You can try pond skimming for micro foods, and then move up to minced blackworms.

markusA

Reaction score
buy brine shrimp eggs in pet shop and hatch them according the instructions,
it will last 1-2 days until you have nauplia (larvae)

they eat micro worms as well, but these worms are normally availabel only within hobbyists and not in pet shop (micro worms can be cultured in a mix of yeast, milk and cereals)

After 2-3 weeks they are big enough to eat chopped black worms (Tubifex)

the pond water thing I did with Axolotl larvae successfully

bobberly1

Reaction score
One really good option is to buy vinegar eels, microworms, bananaworms, etc. from Aquabid.com. I just got vinegar eels and bananaworms for $5 total shipped. There are some really fanstastic deals, and they're really high quality foods, check it out.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Microworms will be just fine :)
That's really an oversimplified answer. Microworms alone will not be just fine, at least not in my experience.

These articles outline various options:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/raising.shtml
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/microfoods.shtml

There are several foods you can use to start them out (microworms, moina, newly-hatched brine shrimp). Beyond the first couple of weeks, live blackworms are absolutely indispensable, in my opinion.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am moving this to the Help section. The larvae of this species are no different than any others.

merk199

Reaction score
I agree check aquabid for good deals. I just got a vinegar eel culture for $2.00 shipped.` Plus there are grindal worms, white worms etc...I did notice everyone seemed to miss daphnia...Also available at aquabid...

craig

Reaction score
My baby kaiseri are growing like weeds on whiteworms (which I received from a posting on this website). The worms are exceeding easy to grow and they come in a variety of sizes so that I was able to feed them to the baby newts as soon as they started eating. Hope this helps.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
As Jen said, microworms alone are not a good choice. They are not nutritionally complete and on the long run, deficiencies may appear, including the extreme case of a metabolic bone disease.

Variety is always best, without a doubt. There are several options that are not hard to find.

chamena

Reaction score
Hi!
I give my larves at first Artemia. When they are two weeks old I give them red Moskitolarves and Enchyträen. Also you can give frozen food.
Good luck!
Greetings, Jürgen

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1