Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fire belly newt question...

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I feed my fire bellies what I believe are tubifex worms, they have the shape and size as black and red worms I believe, but are a pink earthworm type color. I was wondering if anyone can help me identify these worms and comment on their nutritional value. Also, would a diet of these worms, plus blackworms be a good balanced diet? I would also feed them small crickets, as I'm trying to get a pair of Ambystoma Opacum and would have a supply of crickets, but I was wondering if it works out since the fire bellies are mostly underwater.

thanks
See:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/foods.shtml
I don't know about tubifex, but blackworms are not a good source of calcium. The best calcium-rich food you can use are earthworms, so I strongly recommend including them in the diet. Indeed, it's not easy for aquatic newts to eat crickets. But the opacum can certainly share the chopped earthworms.

Critter Mom

Reaction score
The question keeps being brought up about mixing snails and the newts. I checked into it to eat the algae in the tank for my own Chinese Firebelly Newts. Unless you know exactly what kind of snails you are dealing with, I would not recommend mixing them because you are taking a chance on the newts getting hurt. Some snails are omniverous, meaning that they eat plants AND ANIMALS.:eek: There is a place on this site about mixing species and a poor newt had it's head stuck in one of the snails that has a hard foot (trap door that shuts when they want to) and it eventually cut the newt's neck, killing it. I just would not take the chance unless you KNOW what kind you have and have researched it, and even then I don't know if I would do it.:cool:

So, with that being said, why don't you take the 3 gallon aquarium and keep the snails in it with a couple compatible fish, and maybe a small filter and small plant or ornament and a little gravel? You could even keep it bare with the snails and just a couple fish and change the water more often.:happy:

Have fun with your newt,
Critter Mom

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1