Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

White fuzz on gills and growth on under belly

ajbriggs

Reaction score
Hi I need help, my axolotl Rose has overnight developed some white fluff around 2 of her gills. There is more of it on 1 of her gills than the other. I am guessing it is a fungal infection but can't explain how or why she has it. The water temperature is good at 18 degrees C, the pH is good at 7, and all the water tests NO3 etc... show perfect results. How can I treat this? any help would be great.

Also I have noticed what looks like a growth on her underbelly which is growing. The growth looks like a ball of cells which are the same colour as the axolotl. Any help on this would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Alex

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Briggsy,

Can you provide some photos? I would suggest fridging your axie. Salt baths will be indicated if there is a fungal infection but i would advise you to hold back on that until a positive identification.

The lesion on the belly sounds suspiciously like an abscess or tumour. That could be the underlying condition prediposing the axie to fungal infections. That would require treatment first. Fungal infection are secondary to a primary pathology.

Cheers.

ajbriggs

Reaction score
Heres some pics

Attachments

• DSC01390.jpg
    DSC01390.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 2,283
  • DSC01391.jpg
    DSC01391.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 996
  • DSC01392.jpg
    DSC01392.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 1,054
  • DSC01393.jpg
    DSC01393.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 2,703
  • DSC01394.jpg
    DSC01394.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 2,275
  • DSC01395.jpg
    DSC01395.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 759
  • DSC01396.jpg
    DSC01396.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 806
  • DSC01397.jpg
    DSC01397.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 11,297

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Briggsy,

The grape like nodular mass on your axie's belly could be parasite cysts, bacterial or mycobacterial abscesses or neoplasia (cancer). The white jelly like mass on the gills look more like bacterial or parasitic infection to me rather than fungus. I highly recommend you make a vet appointment.
The vet would likely excise the mass and test it at the lab to determine what it is. The mass definitely needs surgical removal. There is no other alternative treatment. Left untreated, the mass will likely deteriorate, considering its located in the most dependant ventral aspect of the axie and can get ulcerated when brushed against substrate, ornaments in the tank etc.

Meanwhile, fridge your axie but do NOT give salt or tea baths. Most importantly, avoid touching the axie with your bare fingers. Use a tub to scoop the axie up to transfer it. There are some types of microbial pathogens that can affect humans as well and the last thing i want happen to you is an accidental innoculation into your eyes or a cut in your skin.

It is important that you isolate this axie. Do not let it come into contact with other axies and do not recycle the water this axie has come into contact with. The axie might be shedding infectious particles that can still be transmissible.

Cheers.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1