Sexing Cynops ensicauda popei

fishkeeper

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Joseph S
Anyone know if it is possible outside the breeding season?

Here are some photos of two animals. First a questionable one, followed by a known male.
Picture032.jpg

Picture033.jpg

Male
Picture040.jpg

Picture039.jpg

I have my suspicions the first could be a female...but here slightly swollen cloaca has me wondering.

AW: Sexing Cynops ensicauda popei

The tail of the animal in the first two pictures seems to be longer than the trunk. If that is the case I'd vote "female". The tail of males is usually shorter (roughly the length of the trunk) and also "higher". The typical "sword"-shape so to say (therefore the trivial name "sword-tailed newt"). Not the shape of a Japanese sword though (katana), but rather that of a double-edged sword a medieval European knight would've been toting.

Re: AW: Sexing Cynops ensicauda popei

Can I assume correctly that only males exhibit swollen cloaca and papillae during breeding season? If so it appears I have the bad luck of having 4 males.(and one animal still terrestrial). Anyone have any extra females? It is somewhat sad to watch them courting each other.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back