Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: I'll newt ? Shiny skin... Fire belly newt

Punjiljh

Reaction score
Hi I own 3 Chinese fire belly newts 2 from a pet shop sadly and one captive bread
My captive bred and one of my pet shop ones are doing fine and are 90% aquatic, swimming and active
However one of the pet shop newts is considerable smaller and spends all of his time wondering around the land section of my set up. He eats live worms and blood worms regularly. I sprayed him a few times a day to stop him from getting dehydrated some times he dipped his belly and legs in the water on his own terms too. So I assumed he was just a happy newt not as old as my other two newts maybe a juvenile.

When feeding him today he was by the water side and fell in to the water when he was trying to bite the worm he quickly darted to the other side of my tank and he looked like this.

image1.jpg
image2-1.jpg

Is this shine ? I've heard about the shine before and was just wondering.
Should I be worried and is there anything I need to do to help him

As I'm writing this he is climbing up a plant to reach the surface of the water.

Thank you

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's nothing sinister, just air bubbles stuck to his skin. Most newts get it if they've been out the water for any length of time, they'll soon disappear if he stays in the water. Although he's been spending time on land, he looks very healthy to me. :)

Reactions: sde

Punjiljh

Reaction score
It's nothing sinister, just air bubbles stuck to his skin. Most newts get it if they've been out the water for any length of time, they'll soon disappear if he stays in the water. Although he's been spending time on land, he looks very healthy to me. :)

Thank you alot! Your a great help and someone that's always looking to help !

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!