The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Old 2nd July 2007   #1
peter81965

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: peter81965 has shown reliable knowledgepeter81965 has shown reliable knowledge
Default paddletails, fire salamanders and woodlice

I have access to literally tens of thousands of woodlice. Earthworms, on the other hand, are hard to come by in my neighbourhood. Can fire salamanders and/or paddletails eat live woodlice?

peter81965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2007   #2
Abrahm
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 3
Rep: Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11

Fire salamanders won't mind feeding on these guys. I've heard they are even a pretty decent source of nutrients. If you let some loose in the enclosure they will help with decomposing plants and animal waste (if they are the temperate kind) and the salamanders should munch on them. Combine with some regular feedings and I don't imagine you would have many problems.

I'm sure they would be fine to feed to a paddle-tail, there is only the basic problem of feeding terrestrial animals to an aquatic predator. Feeding them off of broom straws or some other utensil should help with that. Maybe they sink, I wouldn't know.

Abrahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2007   #3
AJC
(ajc)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 1
Rep: ajc is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgajc is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgajc is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgajc is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgajc is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgajc is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgajc is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgajc is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Woodlice are good, but make sure you know where they've come from and have not picked up any harmful chemicals.

ajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2007   #4
koala

Nationality:
Rep: koala has posted a lot of bad advice/info, or has repeatedly behaved in an unacceptable mannerkoala has posted a lot of bad advice/info, or has repeatedly behaved in an unacceptable manner

I also have a paddletail newt, and I find woodlice outside under logs, put them in a baggie in the freezer, then chop them up into little pieces and feed them to him. He loves them!

koala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010   #5
NightWolf

Nationality:
Comments: 5
Rep: NightWolf is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: paddletails, fire salamanders and woodlice

Either my paddle-tailed newts are very picky, or the woodlice in my area just aren't tasty They couldn't care less about them for some reason, however, I am sure if you offered one to your newt with a pair of tweezers they would eventually eat them. Just make sure that the woodlice who end up drowning are picked out of the tank so that mold cannot grow on them.

NightWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010   #6
CherryBlossom

Nationality:
Comments: 29
Rep: CherryBlossom has shown reliable knowledgeCherryBlossom has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: paddletails, fire salamanders and woodlice

aaah ok so i have a quick question (sorry to hijack your thread peter). I too have paddle tails... I get their meal worms and wax worms from a reptile shop here in dundee. The woman who owns the shop said that once the waxworms morph into the moths you can put the moths in the tank and the newts would eat them.... is this true?

"Like my good hand I tatooed E.V.I.L. across it's brother's fist..That filthy five! They did nothing to challenge or resist." - Mr nick cave.

CherryBlossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010   #7
Janusz Wierzbicki
(Yahilles)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 1
Rep: Yahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

If you catch a moth with tweezers and give it to newt, newt will eat them. Don't expect them to catch free-flying moths

And about woodlice. My Pachytriton liked woodlice very much (usually from tweezers, but i also put them at the bottom of the tank, so the newt hunted them down as they walked, searching for a place to hide.

Old 1st July 2010   #8
deliriah

Nationality:
Rep: deliriah is an unknown quantity at this point

I actually just started a woodlice tank. They seem to be doing well and my juvenile spotted sal loves them! He/she normally gets chopped nightcrawlers. I've even given some of the smaller ones to my eastern newts and they ate them too. But yes they float if you don't sink them down somehow.

deliriah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire, paddletails, salamanders, woodlice