Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Substrate question

Nathan050793

Reaction score
I really need sand to use as a substrate in my aquatic set-ups. I have searched my local petsmart and they don't seem to have any sand that can be used in fresh water or, for that matter any water at all. Are there any brands I should be looking for? please help!:confused:

navaros

Reaction score
Try Lowes or Home Depot for play sand. The kind you use in a sand box. You can get a huge bag cheap. Just make sure you rinse the sand thoroughly, it will help keep the water from being cloudy. I also recommend stirring it around every so often so it does not become anaerobic. Depending on what you are keeping in your tank, you could add trumpet snails which will naturally keep the sand turning.

Nathan050793

Reaction score
Thanks! Play sand was the direction I was kind of going in. My only question is wether it will be fine enough? As for the newts, The sand will go in my chinese firebelly tank, and eventually a tank housing an axolotl.:D

MRIGUY

Reaction score
Look for Southdown tropical Play Sand at Home Depot. Clear bag with read abd blue writing if meory serves. It is real fine and us favored by reefers for deep sand bed set-up's.

Abrahm

Reaction score
A second option for sand would be pool filter sand. You can buy this at any pool or spa store and is usually less than 10USD for a 50 pound bag. It is a quartz sand and is made of very regular grain sizes that are a nice fine mesh. It also is considerably less dusty than the play sand I have used and takes far less effort to clean initially because of that.

coolnewt

Reaction score
Hi
I am wondering if fine silica or quartz sand is ok to use for easten newts. Is there any negative effect from using fine sand in newt tanks?
Thanks chris

Nathan050793

Reaction score
Hi, in the end I ended up buying the pool-filter sand. It works really well and I use it in my own noto tank. I hope that helps.

P.S.
Next time maybe start your own thread, rather than posting on one that is close to 4 months old.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1