New substrate = new cycle?

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Eva
Will changing the substrate in an aquarium crash the bio-filtration so that the cycle will have to start anew?

hi,
i shouldnt think so, many people on here have changed there substrate and as far as i am aware they havent had to make their cycle start again.

Blackhawk

It may cause a slight peak Eva, if you use the same furniture and filter it shouldn't be too bad, just keep an eye on it with your new super dooper test kit ;) you may have to up the frequency of the water changes for a little while

Ok good to know. I've been wanting to change from gravel to sand but am in the middle of cycling that tank and sure don't want to start that fun over again.

Thanks!

-Eva

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back