Help looking at getting axie and need advice!

Knowlzy

Reaction score
Country
Australia
hi,
im looking at getting 1 axie and have a 40cm X 20cm tank... Should it be enough? also, will i need a lid? And what about very fine gravel, no sand at the pet shop, will it still block their organs? how long do you need to leave the tank for before you can introduce an axie... and finally is an under gravel filter suitable?

thanks for your time!

Knowlzy

Hi, welcome to the club :D

I think your tank size is a little on the small side, it may be o.k for one juvenile but I wouldn't want to keep an adult in there.

You do not necessarily need a lid, but if you do choose to go without then keep the water a few inches from the top to stop the Axie jumping out.

Can't really comment on the gravel without seeing the size you mean, Sand or bare tank floor really is best, you can use play sand it doesn't need to be aquatic sand, Either way make sure you wash it thoroughly first.

Your tank will need to be cycled before you should introduce your Axie, this can take anything from a few weeks to a few months, regular water testing will tell you when it is ready (invest in a test kit, test tube style NOT dip stick, they are unreliable) You can cycle your water with your axie in it (shouldn't really!) if you do be prepared to carry out DAILY 20% water changes until the tank is cycled.

There is a lot of controvosy regarding undergravel filters, I have fish tanks with undergravel filters and not had any problems, however Axies are more delicate than fish, and undergravel filters really collect all sorts of horrors, my advice on this is that either an internal or external filter is best but keep it on a low setting to reduce water movement, this can also be reduced by aiming the outlet at the wall or by having plants on the surface to absorb the movement.

Good luck, they are great fun.

great thanks, what exactly do you mean by cycled? and the gravel is very fine 1-3mm (mostly 1) in width
thanks!!!:D

ok thanks, my axies probably 8 cm (havnt got him yet, still in pet shop)

Basically it means that you have built up enough beneficial bacteria to turn the toxic chemicals i.e Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate into less harmful forms.
Axolotls produce a lot of ammonia and can easily suffer from the effects of ammonia poisoning if the water is not looked after. Daily 20% water changes will reduce the ammonia in your tank but it's not ideal, and why do all that work when bacteria are much more efficient.
Your bacteria will build up in your filter, substrate and on any tank furniture, so when you do water changes don't clean the substrate or furniture. The filter will need to be cleaned, but to save as much bacteria as possible this should be done in a bucket of tank water, NEVER tap water.
You can by chemicals that claim to add bacteria to the tank, personally I wouldn't trust these at all and axies are very senesitive to chemicals. Nothing really works as well as time :D

I wouldn't really trust anything but a bare tank bottom or very fine sand with an Axie that small.

hi,
im looking at getting 1 axie and have a 40cm X 20cm tank... Should it be enough?

I'm sorry, but what is the length x width x depth of the tank? 40cm x 20cm - what is this measuring? Axolotls need floor space more than depth.

You will need to get a bigger tank...Axolotls grow very quickly within their first few months. I have a juvenile who is 6 inches and is only four months old.

The bare minimum tank size for one axolotl is 10 gallons which converts to about 45 litres - I'd be surprised if your tank was anywhere near this - sounds like it's about 30 liters...

With an undergravel filter and a tank as small as yours the ammonia levels are going to skyrocket and be very difficult to keep down to non toxic levels while cycling. Undergravel filters accumulate a lot of muck and is a real nuinsance to keep clean - Axolotls are very messy creatures.

Last edited:
tank is 40 x 20 x 20 (cm) what are reccommended dimensions? will any sand do for substrate? i was thinking of a smaller tank while he's young and upsizing later. will cycling require anything in particular in the tank or will it occur naturally?

Hi
the recommended minimum tank size is 18" per axolotl. They grow very fast and cycling can take a long time, it would be better to go for the larger size right away, rather than wait for it to grow. Cycling will require a source of ammonia for the bacteria to feed on, this can be achieved with a small piece of meat (prawn etc) or with fish, goldfish are much more tollerant than axies and can be useful to speed up the cycling, but remember to take the fish out before you add your axie as they can gill nip.
Normal play sand is ideal for the tank, wash it by putting it in a bucket and filling with water, swirl the sand around with your hand, allow it to settle then tip off the water, repeat this until the water runs clear.
Do not use marine sand as this often has added salts and do not use beach sand as you cannot vouch for it's purity.

tank is 40 x 20 x 20 (cm) what are reccommended dimensions? will any sand do for substrate? i was thinking of a smaller tank while he's young and upsizing later. will cycling require anything in particular in the tank or will it occur naturally?

As a rough guide, the recommended dimensions for a small tank would be about 50 x 30 x 30. Your tank is only about 16 litres - I'm sorry, even for a very young juvenile this is way too small.

http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=49415 - If a tank is not an option for you, please have a look at this thread - tubs make great homes for caudata.

Childrens play sand is best as it has been sterilised, or aquarium sand for fresh water tanks, or some people also use filter pool sand. Do not use Beach sand or Marine sand.

Cycling takes from a month to three monthes to complete. If you read the article I posted previously, there are two methods. The preferred method is to cycle the tank with decomposing matter before you put the axolotl in the tank. The other method is to cycle with a living thing in the tank (ie the axie), this method risks the axolotl's health and involves more duty of care to the cycling process. Water needs to be tested daily for Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate and partial water changes need to be done daily - the percentage of water to be changed depends on the readings.

At the end of the cycle, your ammonia and nitrite should read as zero and the nitrate will be between 10-60 ideally. Once cycled completely, water changes and testing need only be done once a week.

ok cool tubs sound good actually, are you sure only 16 litres... that doesnt dound right if you said 50 x 30 x 30 is 45... anyway i might buy a proper glass tank tho and begin cycling... its a shame tho cause theres a really nice axie in the pet shop and theyre hard 2 find around here

perhaps you can pay a deposit and get them to hold onto it for a while.
Also if you look in the for sale/ give away section you might find others for sale near you :D

ok cool tubs sound good actually, are you sure only 16 litres... that doesnt dound right if you said 50 x 30 x 30 is 45... anyway i might buy a proper glass tank tho and begin cycling... its a shame tho cause theres a really nice axie in the pet shop and theyre hard 2 find around here

Hi Knowlzy,

Yes, I am sure. :happy:

To work out volume: Length cms x Width cms x Depth cms / 1000 = Volume in litres. Your tank is 40 x 20 x 20 / 1000 = 16 litres. The minimum size tank I suggested is 50 x 30 x 30 / 1000 = 45 litres.

A tub will make a good home for the axie you are eyeing off in the pet store until you can buy a tank large enough to accommodate him.

You can also start the cycle in the tub. When you are ready to purchase a tank, you just need to transfer the furnishings such as hides, plants, substrate, filter and the water from the tub to the tank - just ensure you don't scrub these or rinse in chorinated tap water or you will kill your beneficial bacterias. If you do need to clean anything, give it a rattle in a bucket of the 'tub' water to preserve your bacteria.

Last edited:
Hi Knowlzy,

I'm sorry, but I wouldn't recommend any sort of gravel no matter how small. Gravel of any size is risky and almost always presents difficulty for an axolotl to pass and this can be fatal...you can call me a neurotic paranoid if you like - I always prefer to be safe than sorry.

Sand however is very easy and above all safe for an axolotl to pass.

Axolotls often snuffle around the substrate and they will also ingest it as they suck in food - their mouth causes a vacuum effect when they lunge for prey and any substrate near the food will inevitably end up in their big maw.

If it's any consolation - Bunnings sells 20kg bags of children's play sand for about $5.00 AUD per bag. :happy:

A bare bottom tank / tub is the best substrate by far, but not as aesthetically pleasing.

Cheers Jacq.

Last edited:
awesome, good ole bunnings thank god to cause i was about to spend like $20 on aquarium sand... thanks

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back